The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Brickie's Arms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Radiator fan stuck on, running battery flat

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williamkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Radiator fan stuck on, running battery flat
    Posted: 13 Dec 15 at 11:00
So, as soon as I put the fuse for the radiator fan in the slot, the radiator fan kicks on to maximum, even if the car is not hot. The fuse then gets mega hot too.

Its sometimes turns itself off (intermittent) so I leave the fuse in but when I come back to the van the next day the battery is completely flat, presumably as the fan has been coming on intermittently (not flat if i leave the fuse out confirms this)

The problems arose when the garage burst a pipe and didn't bleed it properly, so it kept overheating quite badly, they now say they have bled it properly but not sure I can try them.

I have fitted a new temperature sender (http://tinyurl.com/grfqtb9) and that made no difference (this was their advice).

My guess is to check it is bled properly first (my bleeding the radiatior when the van is parked with its front pointed right upwards?) but can you have any other ideas as to what I could check?

I guess the connection of the temperature sender? Any more things? 

Thanks, Will
Will, 1983 VW T3 Caravelle 78PS 1.9 DG Engine, Watercooled
ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Silence is golden, gaffa tape is silver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 15 at 12:13
Have you tried changing the relay yet chap?
Www.justgiving.com/ELVIS-SUMMERS

williamkay View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williamkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 15 at 14:16
No I haven't. I don't even know what it is.

Can you give me a quick lesson please?

JK doesnt seem to sell a radiator fan relay?

Edited by williamkay - 13 Dec 15 at 14:20
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 15 at 19:37
fan switch in the bottom of the rad is stuck closed

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/index.php/t3-parts/t3-engine/t3-petrol/t3-petrol-cooling-system/radiator-fan-switch-t3.html

depends on how old the bus is and petrol/diesel as to weather thats the correct part......
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williamkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 15 at 19:40
ah great thanks - i thought maybe this was from my previous 'jamming it on' attempts using a piece of wire in the 3 holes! 

Mine is an early DG engine from 1983 so I'm not sure which one to get. Ill remove the old one and take a look.

Edited by williamkay - 13 Dec 15 at 19:46
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 15 at 19:49
and not arse licking or blowing smoke up anyones arse but clicking on the banner top right gets you to brickwerks. prob not as cheap in some cases as jk but the stuff is much better quality (so it lasts longer) and itll get to you a damn sight quicker and be right! Thumbs Up

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williamkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 15 at 09:59
Ill take that advice. And I check mine has 3 wires so you definitely posted the right one, thanks.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williamkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 15 at 18:03
Rowlsey, I bought the part and fitted it. The last one was really loose, like hand loose so I was losing a bit of coolant anyway I think so good thing to have done, but.... on putting the fuse back in the thing is still stuck on full on, so it hasn't solved my problem. Perhaps the relay that Elvis mentioned then?
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 15 at 18:27
maybe but ive never heard of one on any vw....... where did you get the switch from and have you re bled the system properly?

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williamkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 15 at 18:41
No havent done any more bleeding and only lost a little coolant when switching over. Waiting for more coolant in the post atm. Switch was from brickwerks as suggested!
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 15 at 21:08
any switches on the dash or by the fuse box? can you trace the fan wires back? seems a bit odd to me.... do you have a thermostat fitted?

Post Reply Post Reply