The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Brickie's Arms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rubber roofs!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Serge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rubber roofs!
    Posted: 30 Nov 15 at 19:29
Hi all
Has anyone had any experience of having a flat felt roof replaced with a rubber membrane?
I need to re-cover the dormer on my daughters house and it's quite a big area, approximately 20 x 10 feet.
The adverts give a 25 year plus lifespan against 15 for felt so although more expensive initially the extra years make it cheaper, in theory!
All replies welcome, from roofers or users, good or bad points.
Thanks in advance. 👍
1990 LT28 Westfalia Florida 2.4TD + Reliant Scimitar GTC + Mk 4 Mondeo + Triumph Trident Sprint 900 + Honda 550/4
http://www.sergeantsmess.co.uk/
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 15 at 21:16
There is a GRP option, but this is a NorthEast company.

http://www.30yearroofs.co.uk/index.php
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
busbuddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote busbuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 15 at 21:52
im a non roofer, a modest diy'er and absolutely useless with wood

we replaced the dead felt roof on our extension this august with rubber membrane, had to replace the wood underneath as it was dead also (it was 18mm chipboard now 18mm marine ply) 
extension is 2.4m x 3.2m

hardest bit for us was getting all old stuff off and fitting new ply, once that was done it was easy to roll out rubber, glue and fit edgings

bought membrane from rubber4roofs as a kit for £200'ish with all edgings/glue/etc

took us one whole day 8am-9pm which included putting everything away, a nice mildly warm day will do, you dont want a hot day as membrane gets warm enough to make bare feet uncomfortable, also the glue goes off really quick the hotter it gets obviously

i figured if i cocked it up then £200 wasted was not the end of the world , we never had a choice to keep the wood underneath but i dont really see the point of putting new membrane on old wood anyway

we are real amateurs, took our time but enjoyed it enormously Big smile

Edited by busbuddy - 30 Nov 15 at 22:00
Serge View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Serge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 15 at 15:02
Thanks for your replies, just waiting for a couple of quotes,  if the weather was a bit drier I'd have a go with the rubber myself! Wink
1990 LT28 Westfalia Florida 2.4TD + Reliant Scimitar GTC + Mk 4 Mondeo + Triumph Trident Sprint 900 + Honda 550/4
http://www.sergeantsmess.co.uk/
what2do View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote what2do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 15 at 11:18
I've done quite a few and to be honest, I love the product. A lot of old roofers will slate it and come up with all sorts of reasons why they're 'inferior', all of which are bull because commercial companies have been using rubber for years and so has Scandinavia. The roof decking must be kept dry and it's imperative that you lay the sheet flat on the roof for an hour or more so that it can 'relax', if not, all the creases will show themselves after it's been glued.

Bit of a gamble this time of year, got to be a frost free day/night otherwise the adhesive won't adhere properly.

If done properly with attention to detail, they do look smart with quality trims.
God giveth - the better half taketh!!!
nic View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 15 at 13:44
any good for use on the roof of a coachbuilt ?
http://www.fosterandday.co.uk
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 15 at 14:03
Do it right, use lead will last a 100 years no probs.
GMAN140 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMAN140 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 15 at 19:17
My mates a roofer he lays fibreglass on flat roofs when you can get him to actually do some work .
I have helped him out a couple of times and where possible if the woods not rotten and the felt is flat he lays a new OSB floor over the top of the old felt . I would wait for the summer if possible so you can take your time with the prep work and do a good job without having to rush to get it done because of the wet weather.

Post Reply Post Reply