The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

3rd gear issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam-D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3rd gear issue
    Posted: 28 Nov 15 at 20:27
have a 1994 lt35
non turbo diesel

in 3rd gear it shudders vibrates.

doesn't do it in any other gear.

any ideas or pointers would be appreciated.
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 15 at 21:32
Sounds like a gearbox issue, so check the oil level asap.
Could be the diff so again check levels.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Adam-D View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam-D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 15 at 21:38
box oil was changed about 3 months ago.
what oil is best for diff and how much is needed. that hasn't been changed yet in my ownership
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 15 at 22:14
I'd still check it, who knows how much was put in or has leaked out since.
Diff will be hypoid 80 or 90 dunno which u need.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Adam-D View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam-D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 15 at 21:39
ill ask at motor factors may phone vw for pointers tommrow.

thank you
Adam-D View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam-D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 16 at 20:34
okay I have new oil for diff.

how much do I need to put in, and what tools.

sorting it tommrow
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 16 at 22:47

Manual gearbox = GL4 (SAE80) spec oil

Differential = GL5 (SAE90) spec oil

Both should be filled till oil begins to dribble out of the filler hole.

Make sure that you can get the filler plug out before you crack open a drain plug (can't remember if this applies to the final drive), but deffo for the gearbox.

Last time I did the gearbox I think I used a 19 or 17mm wheelnut in the sunken plug, then got a socket on it.

Back in the slow lane, yeah!
Adam-D View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam-D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 16 at 08:10
excellent, thank you. ill sort it today
Adam-D View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam-D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 16 at 21:34
ok done that. itll be tested sunday, see if it behaves
Adam-D View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam-D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 16 at 16:23
Ok. It seems to still be vibrating. Between 20 and 30mph. If you leave it in 2nd. Till as long as you can then go for third its less noticeable no idea what it could be.
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 16 at 17:20
Check the joints on the propshaft and the rubber mounts in the middle for wear.
Also engine mounts & gearbox mounts.
Could be something is touching bodywork, had this with exhausts in the past.
Look for underseal missing or bare metal etc.

Adam-D View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam-D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 16 at 17:26
The prop has had a new centre bearing. Not checked the engine or box mounts.will check them and report back.
Adam-D View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam-D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 16 at 21:46
without me looking how many mounts are there? 2 engine and one gearbox?
robbydoo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 16 at 10:17
I had the same but did it sporadically in any gear and any speed, turned out to be a UV on the prop shaft starting to fail.....
1985 LT40 2.4TD Coach built Pioneer Diamond
1983 1.9DG Autosleeper
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 16 at 11:25
Not sure mate, my LT is way older and petrol.
I'd expect 1 either side of the engine, 1 or 2 at the back of the gearbox and the centre bearing.
If a mount has perished or split it could allow too much movement, that's what you are looking for.

BeJay View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 16 at 11:59
Originally posted by Adam-D Adam-D wrote:

The prop has had a new centre bearing. Not checked the engine or box mounts.will check them and report back.

As already mentioned you need to check all the universal joints on the prop, (4 off I would imagine if it has a centre bearing), one either side of the centre bearing, one gearbox end and one diff end, get underneath and try and twist each UJ as hard as you can against itself, you shouldn't be able to feel any radial movement in the UJ itself, if you can then the needle rollers inside are probably breaking down which would cause the vibration and the UJ needs to be replaced, not a particularly difficult job once you've got he prop(s) off.
NIL ILLIGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM
Adam-D View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam-D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 16 at 07:45

there are three uj's I think. ill have a look, so just twist prop against itself any play and the uj is shot.

im assuming when the centre bearing was changed they would have noticed it, or is that wishful thinking.
Adam-D View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam-D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 16 at 18:55
checked ujs,
no play in those so has to be mounts or gearbox
 Post Reply Post Reply