The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

standart Gearbox&AFN engine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iFree-T3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: standart Gearbox&AFN engine
    Posted: 25 Nov 15 at 17:54
Hi guys! I'm from Belarus, and my native language is Russian. So i can make mistakes.

In my Caravelle '88 was installed 1.6TD JX engine. Now in car snand AFN engine, no turbo, no VP37, no ECU. Stand pump with 10mm plunger. 

Car goes "badly". Fasted speed around 115km/h. And this with gearbox AAP!(32/7 and 0.816 5gear)

Comfortable speed 100km/h and still very loud in bus.

I plan to install: VP37 pump, ECU, el pedal..but without turbo! Because car needed every day, and may stay max 1day. And i really worry about integrity of the gearbox, because AFN is was 235N/m. Gearbox cost around 600 dollars, the average salary for the month in Belarus around 300 dollars. Understand me friends?

Questions:
1) stand there standart gearbox(No donuts! Only riding, but dynamic riding), or look for UN1?
2) how many people riding on standart geadbox and AFN engine(110hp)?

Thanks

VW T3 Caravelle AFN
andy1300gt View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy1300gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 15 at 21:39
The standard gearbox would struggle with the AFN running 110. But if you are not running the turbo you will not be getting anywhere near as much power as that.
It's all rust in the end....

89 T3 Doka - AFN TDI
76 XJC 4.2 Daimler - Gone!
72 Austin 1300
Daztwigg View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daztwigg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 15 at 22:31
You can use a standard gearbox with afn you need to swap the final drive for 4.14 not exactly cheap but neither is sourcing un1 box and all the bits and pieces to make that work.
iFree-T3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iFree-T3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 15 at 06:18
Turbo waiting for his timeSmileSmile just not enough free time

29/7 is not available for me. For us!

what about un1? don't understand, excuse me
VW T3 Caravelle AFN
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy1300gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 15 at 06:57
I'm not sure how easy it is to source UN1 gearboxes in your part of the world, but they are becoming very hard to find here and getting expencive. Are they cheap there? Send one to me! I have one in my van. The collection of parts you require should be easier as you already had a JX, if you kept all the parts?

89 T3 Doka - AFN TDI
72 Austin 1300
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy1300gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 15 at 07:00
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/french filth-MASTER-80-99-UN5-GEARBOX-UN1-KITCAR-GT40-LAMBO-CONVERSION-0000283942-/272030599130?hash=item3f564987da:g:AC8AAOSwo0JWMgUb

89 T3 Doka - AFN TDI
72 Austin 1300
timmythedog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 15 at 19:18
Andy, I recently saw an ad in France for a couple of good UN1 boxes. Are they still a good option? I thought the rise of the flipped box had put them in the shadows somewhat? Are adapters plates out there, or is a diy job?  

iFree-T3 you really need more than the AAP to get the best from an AFN.  Have you looked at wheels and tyres as you may be able to source 16 inch wheels and some big tyres to help your gearing? 
Syncro doka td
T4 Multivan Generation, 151
89 Caravelle Exclusive 2.1
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
53 plate T4 Panel.888 special x factor.
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy1300gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 15 at 20:11
I have a UN1 i n my Doka. I am looking to find a spare to have serviced at some point. I think Tim, VW Nerd has adapter plates, he did mine before the flipped box came along. All I can say is there will be much more development done for the flipped box as they are 2 a penny now. My only issue with the UN1 I have is the gear change is not very 'swift' you have to be very deliberate with it.

89 T3 Doka - AFN TDI
72 Austin 1300
Magicbustribe View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magicbustribe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 16 at 00:47
I'm doing an AFN with shazzer (Alhambra) turbo. No indexing required, just removal of studs and drilling out of threaded holes in the turbine housing flange. Will post a build report soon Inc un1...
The more toys I buy the more toys I want!
 Post Reply Post Reply