The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT2 and sprinter forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Handbrake adjuster upside down.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason_app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Handbrake adjuster upside down.
    Posted: 19 Nov 15 at 19:24
I've just fitted new handbrake shoes and pads on my 2002 Vw Lt 35. The adjuster screw is up the other way to most pics I can see online however it's the same way as it came off.

Does it matter which way up it goes? Both ends are the same.

Here's two pics, one of before I stripped it and one of all back together with new shoes and fitting kit.

LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 15 at 21:24
?Are they rear brakes, not just handbrake shoes? I know it is an LT2 but I see no discs.

Either way there must be a finger to turn the gear which adjusts the shoes. As the friction material wears, the pistons in the cylinders get pushed further out. after a while they push so far that the finger clicks the gear around, keeping the shoes close to the drum.

The gear does not look to be in the centre, so I would check where the finger is. One way it will operate, the other it will not.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
Jason_app View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason_app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 15 at 22:23
They are just handbrake shoes. Discs over the top with calipers and pads for main brakes. The adjusters are not automatic they are manual.
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 15 at 22:59
If they are manual, I doubt it matters which way up but I would have thought there should be a hole to adjust them from outside, so line the gear up with that. Strange if there is no hole, it would make adjustment a pain.

1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
wheresthatgonenow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheresthatgonenow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 15 at 12:32
the vw workshop manual.... (vw`S manual NOT haynes).... shows and says the direction of travel (vehicle) the knurled knob is shown at bottom.. so bottom both sides

lt camper89, they are adjusted by taking out a wheel bolt and using a screwdriver though the hole 
 Post Reply Post Reply