The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Wheel help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Deep Dish Low Offsets Possible?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim@KDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deep Dish Low Offsets Possible?
    Posted: 12 Nov 15 at 03:18
First post on here.  I'm usually on thesamba.com. Most of them are not into what I see happening in the UK and other spots in Europe with the low and wide vans.  I also see a bunch of nice slammed Vanagons on T3Cultwerk on Facebook.  They are from Germany and I love what they are doing, but I never get answers from them when asking questions.

I have an 86 2wd tintop that I will be swapping an I4 (ABA here in the US) into and also putting air ride on.  I have found some wheels I like called Kenstyle Locksmice Dukes. They are JDM  5x114 but I will have them opened to 5x112.  Issue is they are 18x8.5 et38 Front and 18x9.5 et26 Rear.  Any chance you guys have experience in running wheels like this?  I imagine front will require some spacers and I will have to widen the slider hinge to clear the rears. Any advice and pics would be appreciated.

Thanks In Advance and Cheers!!

KDI CUSTOMS AUTOMOTIVE UPHOLSTERY
www.kdicustoms.com
Follow me on Instagram and Twitter @kdicustoms
Facebook page KDI Customs Upholstery
chris7ian View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris7ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 15 at 15:33
Hi! I ran 18x8.5J on ET35 front and rear for a while on a 50-70mm drop.
From memory, the fronts had approx 10mm spacers to clear the suspension but it meant the tyres hit the wheel arch when steering with the suspension compressed.
The backs went straight on but looked too narrow so I added a 15mm spacer and it 'juuust' cleared the sliding door.
Hopefully this will give you some idea what your looking at? :)
booted View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 15 at 12:06
your going to foul the arch with 8.5 fronts
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 15 at 14:49
Plus you can't alter pcd by drilling. It'll still be 5x114 whatever you do!
Get wheels that fit
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Tim@KDI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim@KDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 15 at 16:44
Booted I realize I will scrub the arches.  Was wondering if I trim them or roll them, will it give me a little more clearance.  Plus, with air I thought I may have a little more room since I would ride at a set height instead of always being low.

Jason K, pcd will me changed to 5x112 easily with a drill and insert.  They do this by drilling the hole larger and pressing in a steel retainer ring.  Will cost roughly $70 for the complete set of wheels.  You also have to remember, 112 and 114 are super close in fitment as it is so this is a very safe option.Wink
www.kdicustoms.com
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 15 at 22:03
Ah well you obviously know best.
Good luck with it.
aberdare. south wales

chris7ian View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris7ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 15 at 18:00
Originally posted by jason k jason k wrote:

Ah well you obviously know best.
Good luck with it.

Most aftermarket wheels are made with an area of tolerance so they can drill the hole where they please to define the fitment. All re-drilling does is move the centre of each bolt-hole out by 1mm (in this instance) resulting in a 2mm oversized hole... especially useful going from 12mm to 14mm.
Many OEM wheels even come with a tolerance to adjust Offset for different fitments.
Obviously there will be exceptions to all of the above, but when done appropriately it needn't rely on luck
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 15 at 23:04
Bigger holes Still doesn't alter the pcd tho

Edited by jason k - 17 Nov 15 at 23:07
aberdare. south wales

BeJay View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 15 at 09:46
Think there may be a bit of cross purpose thinking going on here Jase, I assume you're thinking of re-drilling the holes with a conventional drill (angled point) which would obviously tend to follow the original hole leaving the same PCD, but I assume whichever engineering firm that does the job would be using a slot drill (basically a flat fronted drill with a cutting edge), this would allow them to plunge cut the new hole 2mm oversize and 1mm inboard of the original hole PCD taking 2mm off the metal inboard and nothing off the outboard side of the hole which would then move the centerline of the new hole inboard by 1mm on the radius thus creating a new PCD of 112mm (assuming the original was 114mm) sorry it's a bit long winded but I hope it clears up what is (hopefully) going to happen. Big smile   

Edited by BeJay - 18 Nov 15 at 09:48
NIL ILLIGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 15 at 10:59
Originally posted by BeJay BeJay wrote:

Think there may be a bit of cross purpose thinking going on here Jase, I assume you're thinking of re-drilling the holes with a conventional drill (angled point) which would obviously tend to follow the original hole leaving the same PCD, but I assume whichever engineering firm that does the job would be using a slot drill (basically a flat fronted drill with a cutting edge), this would allow them to plunge cut the new hole 2mm oversize and 1mm inboard of the original hole PCD taking 2mm off the metal inboard and nothing off the outboard side of the hole which would then move the centerline of the new hole inboard by 1mm on the radius thus creating a new PCD of 112mm (assuming the original was 114mm) sorry it's a bit long winded but I hope it clears up what is (hopefully) going to happen. Big smile   

Yeah, WHS /\  LOL

Bigger hole, drilled slightly off centre, new steel insert fitted with smaller hole, bosh 5 x112 - job's a good 'un.

Bluestar T3 running AAZ/flipped box
Tim@KDI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim@KDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 15 at 16:11
Hi all,
I have contacted a reputable machine shop to do the work.  They told me it's about $70 for the set to drill and insert.  They have done tons of wheels like this.  They even told me that they can do a 5x120 to 5x114 or 5x112 drill and insert safely.  They recommend staying away from fill and redrills as they tend to harden the metal and have crack issues later down the road.

With that said, I've been searching for 5x108, 5x110, 5x112, and 5x114 wheels that would fit my vanagon T3.   Just have to sort out offsets and widths that will work.
www.kdicustoms.com
Tim@KDI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim@KDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 15 at 19:38
I just found a set of wheels that may be a better fitment.  They are 18x8 et40 front and 18x9 et44 rear.  I realize I need spacers/adapters for offset, but will I have any rub issues at that width?  ANy info is appreciated.  I may go get them tomorrow if you guys think they will fit.
www.kdicustoms.com
Daztwigg View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daztwigg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 15 at 20:41
I run 8's and 9's with 215-40-18 on front with 5mm spacers and 235-40-18 on rear with brickwerks 25mm hubcentric spacers I think off hand et32 I will check for you in the morning if you like and measure from inside back wheel to rear arm and front wheel to upper wishbone as these could be your problem areas with more et
Tim@KDI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim@KDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 15 at 20:58
I would appreciate any info you can give. I'd like to see pics too of what your van looks like on them.
Are you low?
Any arch scrub issues?
www.kdicustoms.com
Daztwigg View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daztwigg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 15 at 11:19
No scrub issues plenty of clearance running -70 avo springs and shocks. Just checked and mine are actually et35 front and rear and rears at closet point of rear arm has 30mm and front to wishbone has 10mm so I think you could get et40 and et44 to fit but the fronts would look wider than the rears and this is not a good look I will post some pictures when I get home from work
Daztwigg View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daztwigg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 15 at 16:51
Couple of pictures
Tim@KDI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim@KDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 15 at 15:20
Daztwigg I love the look of your van.  I want to go lower on mine when parked with air ride, but you have the ride height I want for when Im aired up.

Here is a pic of the wheels I may be getting this weekend. They are the 18x8/9 I discussed in my last post.

www.kdicustoms.com
Daztwigg View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daztwigg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 15 at 20:45
If I take the shocks and springs out I can jack the wheels right up into the arches I am also going air ride in the future. as the wheel comes up it cambers more and tucks real nice I am upgrading my driveshafts this weekend so I will take spring out and take a photo to show you. You could make the fronts at et40 fit real nice but the rears are your problem with that et44 you not going to be able to space them out enough for the right look
T3ADICT View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3ADICT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 15 at 17:31
for an 8x18 et 40 wheel on the front you will need a 10mm to 15mm spacer, all depends on the inner rim edge profile.  how it clears near to the top ball joint.

best thing to do is buy some of those cheapo multi spacers in 5mm and try it with 2 or 3.
remember that as the van drops the nose edge of the wishbone will rotate outwards
 (top wishbone. front egde by ball joint)

rears  wise 9x18 et44 with a 15mm spacer you will be near on the OE Offset.
they should clear the sliding door and the seam egde of the swingarm.

WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough
Tim@KDI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim@KDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 15 at 00:41
Sooo, the guy selling me the wheels has yet to meet with me.  Looks like I am on the hunt for another set. I found a set of SSR Vienna Kreis wheels I really like.  Not as wide and doesnt have dish/lip that I was looking for, but fitment should be good.  Size is 18x7.5 with et47.  They are supposedly true 3 piece so I can re-lip re-barrel them later if I want.  Made an offer, now just waiting to see what happens.

Who would of thought that buying a set of wheels would be so damn hard!!
www.kdicustoms.com
 Post Reply Post Reply