The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rebuild 1.6td

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joshuathree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rebuild 1.6td
    Posted: 27 Oct 15 at 07:26
Hi guys, my question is.This winter I want to change engine and gearbox in my bus I want to keep original 1.6 td. I want just more power and faster gearbox. please could you recommend somebody who can do it for me and do you have any idea how much it will be cost?Thank you.
clift_d View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clift_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 15 at 09:57
Bigger tyres could give you upto around 8% extra with your existing gearbox without needing to change it - based upon going from a standard 185 R14 tyre to the largest size a 14" van can handle which is generally taken as 205/70 R16 tyre or equivalent diameter. You wouldn't be advised to go more than about 3-5% with your current engine though without feeling a real performance hit.

Others will have more to say about engine changes as this is not something we've done.

In terms of the JX, we're sticking with ours as we've had it thoroughly overhauled and it's currently running very nicely. In the future though we're probably looking at adding an oil cooler and charge cooler and getting some injection pump mods done to give it a bit more power, but if we were really looking to tweak it then we'd be looking at mods like an AAZ head gasket, arb head bolts and even an AAZ head. You can find out more about some of these tweaks on the vwdiesel.net/forum.

Edited by clift_d - 27 Oct 15 at 10:02
1988 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker syncro
 Post Reply Post Reply