The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > South African T3s
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

KJet fuelling problem solved

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wychall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: KJet fuelling problem solved
    Posted: 10 Oct 15 at 20:02
WARNING This is a long and boring post but I wanted to share my new found knowledge.

I have been trying to resurrect a KJet injection set-up for some while now. I have finally succeeded so thought I would share it with anyone that may be interested.

First, some background. I have a South African Microbus with the 2.5 litre 5 cylinder engine, fuelled by KJet petrol injection. Four years ago it was converted to run on LPG so the KJet fell into disuse. A couple of years ago I switched the KJet back on, just to make sure it still worked. It misfired like mad, not at all happy. I added injector cleaner to the tank but to no avail. I then removed all the injectors and sprayed brake cleaner through them. Problem solved.

Another 12 months down the line and I tried again. This time I got copious white smoke billowing out of the exhaust whilst driving, cutting out soon after stopping the car, and failing to restart. I then noticed neat petrol dripping out of the exhaust. Evidently running slightly rich.

Now began the fun. I stripped and cleaned every part of the fuel system, reasoning that the problem was petrol gum from our wonderful ethanol laced petrol these days. All injectors cleaned through and the metering head shuttle removed and cleaned. No change. When started it was very rich, white smoking and eventually fuel dripping from the exhaust. I removed the injectors and powered the fuel pump. Immediately they started spraying large quantities of fuel. Although it is a continuous injection system, it shouldn't inject on closed throttle. Now came many hours of trawling the net and posting on various forums to find someone with an answer. Volvo, Saab, Porsche, Mercedes even Ferrari who all use the same system but no joy. Plenty of comments of replace this bit or replace that bit but no reasoning behind it. Also comments of checking the operating pressures of the system, so out I go and buy a Bosch Pressure Test Kit. That confirms that all pressures are correct!

As you start to despair about fixing something, you start to lose focus and do silly things. Not good!

The lesson here is when your cylinders are full of petrol, make sure you disconnect the ignition system before spinning the engine with the spark plugs out. :ok

I had just about given up any hopes of fixing the KJet system until I had a Eureka! moment lying in bed at 3am. Up early and out to try the idea out. It worked!

The metering head has a shuttle valve which in the case of my system is held in place by a slotted nut.

I had removed the slotted nut to be able to extricate and clean the actual valve. On re-assembly I had tightened and lightly nipped the nut. My Eureka! moment was realising that the nut shouldn't be tightened but was actually an adjuster. Winding it back flush with the hexagon nut stopped the continual spray from the injectors. Some more searching on the internet finally found an intial setting for that nut of 0.58mm below the hexagon.

All buttoned up again. All pressures checked and within tolerance. Out comes the Gunsons Exhaust Gas tester which shows 2.4% CO. Starts easily and runs smoothly. RESULT!

I have now dosed the petrol with "Ethomix" to prevent ethanol gumming and intend to do a monthly fire up on petrol to keep the system sweet.
So be warned all you dual fuel guys!

South African 1991 2.5i 5cyl Microbus - virgin, not campered - piloted by Brian.
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 15 at 20:25
did you change your pants after that top pic!LOL
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
Wychall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wychall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 15 at 20:54
The heart rate was certainly elevated (along with a funny smell)
South African 1991 2.5i 5cyl Microbus - virgin, not campered - piloted by Brian.
T3 Nev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 15 at 08:08
Life does throw us the odd curved ballLOL Good to have you and the Microbus back on the road again.
TransPorscher View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TransPorscher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 15 at 18:11
I had the same problem with my 2.5  after running on LPG for many years. Even if you had to spend more money on it at least you'd saved it by running LPG !

If anyone's interested I have many K jet spares from a 5 cylinder VW engine, including a cylinder head & manifolds. drop me a PM if interested ? I'd prefer to get shot of it all as a job-lot.

Charlie

Small Moves Big Grooves! WeFunkRadio.com

Scimdiesel View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scimdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 16 at 20:19
Briggs and Stratton do a petrol additive to keep it fresh and to stop it gumming up the crappy little carbs over winter.   
Without engineers science is just philosophy..... Joined the revolution with a 18 year old TDI :
GGHM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GGHM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 16 at 20:40
To protect the K-Jetronic you can fill some two-stroke oil (for boat engines!!) in the fuel tank. 
This is recomended by Bosch.
1983 Caravelle special edition - one of the first WBX
1993 Caravelle 2.5i from South Africa
 Post Reply Post Reply