The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I've got a new brick

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ottoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I've got a new brick
    Posted: 08 Oct 15 at 03:59
It comes from Germany, it's a camper equipped by Karosseriefabrik Voll from Wurzburg. It's the only pop top LT I have ever seen.

It has a 2 litre petrol engine, made in 1980 and still going strong. The previous owner, who has had it for 15 years, had recently done a major service, including the cylinder head and carburetor. The only improvement I'm going to do is a LPG system and then many miles.
dumbo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dumbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 15 at 07:14
hi any pictures of the roof up and inside?? would be nice thanksSmile
simon
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 15 at 08:05
I second dumbos' request.

We do not see Voll very often. Thumbs Up
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
mcbkat View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcbkat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 15 at 16:57
^^^ What he said

Stefan
De Vries LT45 4X4, De Vries LT40 4x4
Canada LT28 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 15 at 02:46
Yea, what him above and him above him saidBig smile
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Slow and built to stay that way
87 T3 soon to be a camper
ottoMan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ottoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 15 at 07:23
I promise to post more pictures soon. Up untill now I'm so excited playing with it that I keep forgeting to take photos.
dumbo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dumbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 15 at 08:20
yes do enjoy it but do show us some pictures SmileSmileSmileBig smileBig smileBig smile
ottoMan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ottoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 15 at 15:37
Gentlemen, thank you for your patience. I promised you more pictures, here you have more pictures.

First of all I want to say that I'm very excited about the LT, which is named for now The GreenMachine - obvious name. 
The legend says that mister Voll bought 2 LT's in 1979 and built the Franken expansion - which is the one in the one in the pictures. And the end of the day the selling price was almost equal to the price of a Westfalia's Sven Hedin. So nobody bought them, until 1981, when this one was bought.
The other one was never sold and it seems to be still kept somewhere in Wurzburg.

The original owner kept the camper for 20 years. In 2001 he sold it to the guy that I bought it from. He kept it for 15 years. By now his family was a little to large and they didn't have enough room in it anymore. So I got and it's perfect for us.

This last owner painted it green - the van was originally white - for camouflage reasons. He used to do a lot of wild camping and in Germany that's something you can't do anywhere. Now, when he was trying to sell it, he had another problem. Seems that the German people likes a camper to be white, no other color. So nobody appreciated the van there. He was actually very surprised that I traveled 1500 miles very determined to buy it. .

Now I converted it to LPG - it runs perfectly, still I feel the AFR it's a little to rich, but I'll sort that out. Changed the cam belt and tensioner (old), the water pump (leaking), the alternator belt and we're ready for the trip to Hamburg. 

A couple of questions:

What is the fuel economy on petrol and LPG for a 2.0 petrol engine ?
What is the oil consumption for the same engine ?

I searched, but didn't find any info on these.

Thanks.

Edited by ottoMan - 18 Oct 15 at 15:39
1980 Pop Top LT28 2.0 Petrol converted by Karroseriefabrik Voll von Wurzburg
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 15 at 16:38
Excellent bit of history there ottoman, and a smashing van.

?Is the interior original? It is.....striking.Wink
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
dumbo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dumbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 15 at 20:20
well done and nice to see pictures now enjoy mate Smile kids will love itBig smile
ottoMan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ottoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 15 at 03:43
The side panels where painted by the children of the previous owner. Everything else is original.
The top is lifted hydraulically, the action is effortless.
Kids love it, indeed. So do I.
Canada LT28 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 15 at 01:21
I love that big pop top. Brilliant design.

94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Slow and built to stay that way
87 T3 soon to be a camper
timaldiss View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timaldiss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 15 at 17:06
Great van ottoMan, well done for bringing her home
-------
I have a history of VW LT camper van addiction: http://campervanman.co.uk
ottoMan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ottoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 15 at 05:38
Well, we've been to Hamburg and back last week - that's a 2800 miles trip - almost trouble free.
One problem is that the fridge is not working - not on gas, 12V or 220V. 
The other is a slight water loss in the engine cooling system, and it's not visible anywhere. So the main suspect is the head gasket.
Otherwise the van drives excellent, keeping it constant at 65 mph on the highway returns almost 17 mpg. Except uphill, when it drops as low as 35 mph, depending on the incline and the length. But you all know what's that like.

So, all in all it really is a great van and will be my daily drive for the winter, while I leave the motorcycle in the garage. 
ottoMan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ottoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 15 at 05:31
We've done 7500 miles. Had a small cooling water loss even after replacing the water pump. So last week I changed the head gasket and now we're on tests again, before a Christmas trip to Prague. Everything seems to work well. I have to repair the fridge, come spring time.
Roger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 15 at 09:29
Hi Ottoman

If the fridge is not working on both gas and electric try taking it out of the van and turning it upside down for a couple of days.  This worked for me but I was getting a little cooling before, ie not totally dead.  This returned the fridge to normal. 
1989 LT31 Florida 2.4TD
ottoMan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ottoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 15 at 04:06
Thanks for the tip, Roger. Yes, the fridge isn't working on both gas and electric, but doesn't seem totally dead.
The guy that I bought the car from told me that I need to do this every couple of years or so, but he didn't tell me when he had done it the last time. So this will be the first thing I will try to make it work.
 Post Reply Post Reply