The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > Show pictures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pyrenees holiday photos

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t3pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pyrenees holiday photos
    Posted: 23 Sep 15 at 17:43
After a fantastic three & a bit week holiday to the Pyrenees I've posted some pics here: http://www.maraid.co.uk/xphotos/pyrenees15/index.html

We started in Santander, had a day in Bilbao - mostly spent at the amazing Guggenheim Museum where there's currently a Jeff Koons retrospective. We then meandered our way through the Pyrenees for the next couple of weeks, eventually ending up on the Med coast near Cadaqués in Spain. We then spent the final week working our way through The Cevennes in France, then Belgium, The Netherlands & finally getting the ferry back to Hull from Rotterdam.
Needless to say it was a fantastic trip trip. The van got a great workout - especially on some of those 1st & 2nd gear 15 mile long mountain passes in the Pyrenees. Hot engine going up & hot brakes coming down, but no major problems with our wonderful 83 Westy. Missing it already!

jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 15 at 19:01
Great pics! Looks a great holiday
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Nugget View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nugget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 15 at 21:25
That looks great, we keep thinking about catching the ferry to Santander or Bilbao and then touring back up through France, the kids are just about at the right age now (8 and 6) so perhaps next year.

Did you pre-book your camping, any top tips for places to go or good campsites???

LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 15 at 22:23
Cockermouth LOLLOLLOLLOL
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 15 at 08:14
Nugget, chappy family and my family did just that a few years back.
Booked the first campsite and just winged it from there! France has lots of campsites from Aires to municipal ones to pukka five star jobs! You won't struggle to get in somewhere.
Just don't underestimate how big France is!!
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

t3pete View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t3pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 15 at 08:26
I'll second that Jason. The municipal sites are usually very well equipped & you'll find them all over the place.
Nugget View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nugget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 15 at 12:38
I had heard that the campsites were excellent but wondered about availability in the French holiday season (they all head for the campsites don't they???), I used to regularly travel to Bayonne and Biarritz (flying Bristol-Bordeaux then driving to Biarritz) with work a few years back and mooched around the area a bit and have always fancied going back but in my own time, I thought the Basque country was stunning.
t3pete View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t3pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 15 at 08:01
We always try & avoid the summer holiday rush so go in either May or late August/early Sept. Never had any problems with busy campsites & even had the odd one to ourselves.
hugocathargo View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hugocathargo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 15 at 19:57
Pics look great ,we did some of Germany this year .but you've given us some ideas for next ,,,
Holydiver View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Baxters Chocolate Star Boy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holydiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 16 at 13:16
Just came across this post.
Great photo's and can't wait to get back to the Pyrenees in the summer

Jonathan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 16 at 13:16
I am planning a trip to the Pyrenees in July with my 2 teenagers and since I will be on my own - i don't even know where to begin. I’d prefer a small group tour, but cannot seem to be able to find anything except day trips, thus here are my questions:

1. How best to reach the Pyrenees & move about there: by train, bus, or car? Since I’m the only driver, and am not used to driving in Europe, I am a little scared. But If I don’t have a car, then will i be stuck. What’s best?

2. Should we see only Catalan side of Pyrenees, or can we also go to France? How difficult is it to cross border (depending on mode of transportation we choose). We are still doing a tour of spain and portugal after the Pyrenees.

3. During our 4 days, we’d like to get to Costa Brava, is that doable? Or would you recommend other sites? If you can recommend a tentative itinerary, that would be great. We’re not really very sporty types, so not sure that biking/hiking should be part of the trip, but any ideas would be welcome. We like small mountain villages, sightseeing, maybe some white water rafting, some wineries, good food, etc.

4. Should we make 1 town =our base, and then explore from there or should we move around and stay in several locations?

5. Any must-see places? On the Spanish side or on the French side?

6. What’s the best guidebook for this kind of trip?

Post Reply Post Reply