Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > Syncro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking 4 wheel drive?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking 4 wheel drive?
    Posted: 20 Sep 15 at 22:57
Been talking to a few drivers, I am in the market for a 4wd van.

Very mixed reports on newer VW 4wd and I should consider a syncro?

What do they go for and what to look for?
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 15 at 08:16
What would you be using it for?
Aidan View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aidan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 15 at 07:20
old, rusty, coming up to their 30th birthday, bodged and poorly maintained, generally in need of several grands worth of work to bring them up to daily driver standard, and will never ever be fuel economical regardless of which engine , but the most capable 4x4 that gives good bed in the footprint of a passat; they ask too much if they haven't done all the mechanicals or unless it really is low milage and garaged dry use only, you want as original as possible or if worked on then to a high standard and like all T3 as good a shell as possible - figure on 3 - 4 grand up now for something that's all there and then throw that at it again unless you find gold to start with - slippy8v on 80-90 found a nice van over your side of the sea, they are out there just hard to prise them from owners
Aidan Talbot, gearboxes for watercooled engines, 4, 5 speed and syncro front and rear rebuilt. 01691 648011, 07817 377938....www.aidantalbot.co.uk
nic View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 15 at 19:08
I think he is looking for something new Aidan.
http://www.fosterandday.co.uk
Aidan View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aidan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 15 at 07:13
Originally posted by Alonline Alonline wrote:

Been talking to a few drivers, I am in the market for a 4wd van.

Very mixed reports on newer VW 4wd and I should consider a syncro?

What do they go for and what to look for?

sorry I read that as 'have heard t5 4 motion and t4 syncro a bit shite (ie depreciate faster than a half eaten sandwich at a wedding feast or no 4wd in reverse), so may consider a proper syncro ie a T3'

if you had a rufty tufty building renovation project for instance a syncro for 12 months could be quite cost effective if you get a sorted one to start with, ie Jed's old Doka which was recently for sale for real sensible money, as you'd likely get most if not all of your money back in 12 months time whereas an Amarok will cost you £3k+ year in depreciation
Aidan Talbot, gearboxes for watercooled engines, 4, 5 speed and syncro front and rear rebuilt. 01691 648011, 07817 377938....www.aidantalbot.co.uk
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 15 at 09:02
Two owners of Amarok want rid, suspension problems in 1st year. Opinion from them, look like off road but just tarted up.
Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 15 at 00:02
no 4wd in reverse?

T4 has the freewheel that disengages in reverse like the Golf Syncro doesnt it?
In fact i'm sure the actuator is the same part?

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

http://www.tee3.co.uk/
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 15 at 23:01
Indeed it does...and what were the American suspension issues exactly?
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 15 at 23:02
Amerokian....anoraks...

Post Reply Post Reply