The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > South African T3s
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Import Costs ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beetlecrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Import Costs ?
    Posted: 25 Aug 15 at 14:13
Hello there. I am considering the possibility of importing a late model, SA T3 and wondered if anyone could tell me if I can get it imported cheaper than the quote I have had ? I have made one enquiry which came back at  £4,100 which is more than half the amount I could probably get a decent 2002, 2.6 Caravelle. It`s only an idea at this stage so any advice or urine on my chips would be gratefully received. One further point. Do South African T3`s suffer from any rust issues ? Thanks in advance.
Wychall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wychall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 15 at 10:49
Not able to comment on import costs, as I haven't been there. I will email a good friend who may have some info and point him at your post.
As to the rust, the previously mentioned friend dismantled an SA a couple of years ago which had the worst structural rust I have seen. Be aware that these buses receive NO rust treatment at the factory as rust is not an issue in SA.  So if you import one then full wax injection should be a priority.
South African 1991 2.5i 5cyl Microbus - virgin, not campered - piloted by Brian.
Beetlecrusher View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beetlecrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 15 at 15:50
Hi Wychall. Thanks for the post and the point regarding rust. Assuming I could lay my hands on a rust free model, I could Waxoyl, underseal it and garage it in the winter so as to reduce any future rust issues. Which leads me on to another question. Were SA T3/T3`s actually manufactured in South Africa like the Brazilian T2 or were they assembled there with all the components being shipped from Germany ? One question seems to lead to another.
Wychall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wychall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 15 at 19:54
There is a mixture of locally sourced and imported items. The specific SA parts are local, whilst the more generic VW and Audi parts came from wherever. The parts that are common across the VAG range are fairly easily sourced for spares whilst the SA specific are mainly unobtainable in the UK. Bear in mind that the T3 went through quite a radical redesign when SA production commenced. Hope this helps.
South African 1991 2.5i 5cyl Microbus - virgin, not campered - piloted by Brian.
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beetlecrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 15 at 08:11
Any information or opinions are helpful. It`s still very much pie in the sky at the moment as the idea has been in my head for a few years now. It is, however, a distinct possibility and I`ll do some in depth research on import costs  when I get more time.
Wychall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wychall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 15 at 08:24
I notice that you are West Mids based. If you wanted a guided tour of an early SA then I am in Northfield,  Birmingham.
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beetlecrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 15 at 14:24
Thanks for the offer although I have had a good look round a couple of SA T3`s at Dubfreeze and Vanfest. I`m in Cannock so if you`re in the area, PM me and I`ll give you my address.
 Post Reply Post Reply