Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > Syncro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Syncro V6

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak
''We fuck like monkeys, yes?''

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cliffbase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Syncro V6
    Posted: 17 Jul 15 at 08:27
Finally I am ebarking on my engine change...

Old members on here will know ive had a number of T3's and on my last one I changed the engine from a JX to a 1z. It was a good van & I miss it!

Anyway, long story short I ended up with half a Syncro 16. It had a knackered gearbox and various bits missing from it, but its a petrol so I decided to give it a bit more go.

I have removed the 2.1 wasserleaker & have a 1995 Audi 2.6 V6 to go in (50k, and just been overhauled with new waterpump, belts etc).
Aiden has just built me a cracking gearbox with altered ratios etc to take the engine & my tyre choice. A SA Bell housing from Winkler is fitted to mate the two.

The clutch's from the VW & Audi are clearly different with both splines & diameter, I am currently having one made to suit with uprated springs etc.

As with the last build thread I posted, please recognise that this is not a "how to do it" thread, but how I am doing it. The van is being done for me, for the uses I intend for it.

There will be a number of issues to overcome but with time i'll get over them.

So... right now I have the engine & gearbox mated together with a small aperture made in the bell housing to accommodate the speed sensor on the Audi flywheel (it has a dual mass fitted at the moment but I have a solid one that will go in once I have the clutch back). The standard gearbox mounts are holding the gearbox in place whilst I manufacture the engine mount system.

Audi used the hydro rubber mounts so i'll be doing the same. I have cleaned up the existing engine carry bar & will modify to fit the off centre engine mounts & also find a way to mount the engine end support.

Its going to be a slow installation but I'll keep this post updated.

Only a couple of pics right now, my home made engine support has been very good and ensuring the engine is straight (& gearbox for prop direction), level both side to side & front to rear.

Hope to get some more done this weekend. Naturally there will be a number of changes to be made with engine/prop protection etc (inc oil filter!)

Edited by Cliffbase - 17 Jul 15 at 08:31
The bigger the Orange, the bigger the peel.
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 15 at 09:32
Smile  crack on chap..  you keeping alreet?

T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
fatboy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
judge judy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 15 at 13:31
Another v6? Anyone want to buy an agg ☺ Nice one Cliff

Edited by fatboy - 17 Jul 15 at 13:32
'83 T3 westy - biguns got it
68 buggy again!- Roger the cat is going to finish it
Syncro, previously known as the scoobyvelle

Shit I need to sell some MORE cars!
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 15 at 14:04
Just being nosey, ?BMW R4 in the earlier images?

Love following you chaps.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
Cliffbase View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cliffbase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 15 at 17:58
Hutch, yeah im ok thanks bud, been a tough few months, but looking after dad thanks.

LT, blimey you are nosey! Yes 1947 R35.

Collected my clutch today :)
Cliffbase View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cliffbase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 15 at 18:25
LT, I just had a look through those pics - Ive had some cracking vehicles! I also must have very tolerant neighbours!!
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 15 at 19:44
Cool I was a bit early in my estimation.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
Cliffbase View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cliffbase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 15 at 12:18
Quick update, the Audi clutch assembly sits too deep into the SA bell housing.

Having made a bell housing face template, im having some lazer cut alloy spacers made (2,4 & 8mm thick). from my measurements i'll need the 8mm one, this still gives me full clutch spline penetration & some slack on the release bearing.

This also means i'll have a tiny bit more room for the main air induction which is good
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 15 at 10:14
Is this hutches old van?
Cliffbase View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cliffbase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 15 at 13:22
No
irishkeet View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishkeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 15 at 08:12
Good luck with it, will give you a shout when I have mine back in Suffolk ;-)

rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 15 at 21:04
any joy chap? does it fit now? Thumbs Up
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
Cliffbase View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cliffbase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 15 at 21:15
Ha no not been near it bud! Boat load of other stuff going on!
Cliffbase View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cliffbase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 18 at 21:36
Tread resurrection!

Long time no see!

Just a heads up to anyone who might be interested, after sorting this van mechanically, im now going to sell her.

Ill compose a proper for sale add over the next few days but feel free to PM me if you are looking for a sound Syncro 16.
912 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 912 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 18 at 22:05
Is It finished and up and running?
Cliffbase View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cliffbase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 18 at 07:56
I aborted the v6 project so its running on the 2.1
Marmadukemar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marmadukemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 18 at 09:03
PM sent 👍🏽
Cliffbase View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cliffbase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 18 at 07:31
Like the big mincer i am, having spent the day with the van yesterday, just cant let it go! Thanks for all the interest, but for the time being at least its staying with me.
 Post Reply Post Reply