The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'96 LT35 In Need Of TLC... Is It Worth It ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EllTee35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '96 LT35 In Need Of TLC... Is It Worth It ?
    Posted: 13 Jul 15 at 20:55
Hi guys, been reading this forum over the past few weeks mainly as an MKI LT35 owner facing some dilemnas.

Had our lovely LWB High Top 2.4tdi Camper for a few years but it's been SORN for the past 3 as funds have been tight and it needs a lot of panel work to get it through the MOT.

The main areas of concerns regarding welding work are the usual suspects - wheel arches, a few holes in the bottom side lower panels and a few other areas need attention too.  I had a quote for £1000 to get the welding work done a few years ago and trying to get a new quote in the next few days.

I've had her up on a ramp and the bottom isn't looking too bad considering, but one of the MOT advisories also mentioned excessive corrosion by the rear suspension mounts.

Well, I got her started last week after years in relatively dry storage and it filled me with excitement all over again.  But now having driven her, I'm having second thoughts due to the following issues which have cropped up (not unexpected since she's been sitting so long!):  bad oil leak, very spongy brakes, fumes in the front cab.

She's done 230,000 odd so not too excessive and I was told when purchased that the engine was completely reconditioned at 180,000 so hopefully got some life left in her yet.

She starts beautifully and runs fine at the moment, my heart says to spend a bit to get her roadworthy... the worry is that a bit could turn into a much larger amount of ££.

Also, after just reading this latest thread, I'm feeling even more apprehensive: http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/another-one-bites-the-dust_topic89955.html

So the options are:

1/ Fix her up and hope that the bills don't escalate out of control

2/ With the money we'll probably end up spending, instead buy a 2nd hand empty panel van (probably a newer shape LT) and kit that out with the innards from the old girl

Any thoughts from those who have been through similar dilemnas past or present, much appreciated. :)
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 15 at 21:23
Welcome EllTee35BeerHandshake

The bills do not have to build up too high if you can do a bit yourself, particularly the welding that does attract a high premium.

It does seem unusual to have excessive corrosion around the rear suspension mounts, since the chassis are sound for a lot longer than the body. It would be worth scrubbing off the corrosion to see exactly what is there, or not. 

Reconditioning is a very open term, and unless you know exactly what was done, it is a very, very open term. Definitely change the belts and waterpump, especially since it has been standing for three years.

Find out exactly where the oil leak is from. Clean all the muck off, and see if you can see where it appears first after a little run. Then you can decide what is required.

Trawl though the pages herein, almost everything has been covered at some time. Use the Search>advanced search top right.

Spongy brakes are more than likely just due to the fluid absorbing moisture while stored. A full bleed, or two would probably sort that.

The fumes could just be a leaking joint in the exhaust, or the engine cover is not sealing properly with a little diesel leak from perished pipes thrown in. A garage actually screwed up the fitting of an exhaust for a member recently, including leaving a big gap for fumes and soot to escape.

The Florida which unfortunately was burnt out is not indicative of the problems which 'plague' these vans, truthfully, getting some parts is more of a pain. If you have no time limitations, then potter on when you can and it will be finished when it is finished.

1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
outtatime View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote outtatime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 15 at 21:59
Just my twopenneth but i'd say take the time to fix it, i'm facing some large bills and a fair amount of time to get mine sorted, but given the size and cost of any replacement (small and prohibitively expensive) i think the LT is worth the investmest in the long run.

As Ltcamper89's siggy says, 'Camper van not cramper van' Wink
LT28 2.4TD (DV) Camper 'Morgan'(H998 RUM)
LT40 2.4TD (DV) Camper D562 RCY
Discovery 200 TDI
Discovery 300 TDIx3 (Tetley,Lileth & ????)
Skoda Felicia
BMW F650 GS
KTM 200 EXC
Honda Trail 90 (CT90)
EllTee35 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EllTee35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 15 at 22:03
Thanks for the welcome LTCamper89!  Big smile

All very good points and I can tell you are v.experienced in the world of LT's (seen your lovely LT avatar a fair amount on my travels thru these 'ere parts! :D).

I would really love to do the welding myself and found asiormax still selling quite a number of different panels in his thread which got me excited: http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/vw-lt-mk1-body-panels_topic81549_page1.html

Unfortunately, I sort of need the van running asap as it's ideally going to be for work and play.  But I appreciate after reading a number of 'renovation' threads that unless I pay someone to do the work, it could take some time... (Read thru BigAl68's epic thread the other day: http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/long-wheelbase-shorter-job-lt35_topic52161.html)

I spose another option is to get a cheap runaround for work in the meantime and master some welding skills to do her up over the next year or two.... although not sure 'she who is to be obeyed' would be too happy with that idea!! CryLOL

Just been looking at some newer LT's/Sprinters to use as bare-bone donor vans using the innards from mine, but somehow they just don't have the same magic.... will have to sleep on it (again) Ouch

LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 15 at 22:58
Better not have LT2 nightmares though.Dead

Some parts, such as the rear floor panels(!!!!!) are still available from VW through our generous benefactors, Brickwerks.

Paste the part number into here,  http://www.volkswagen-classicparts.de/bestand/ and it will tell you whether or not they are still available. Phone or email Brickwerks, pay, and bits will wing their way to you. Michael is a star, and is always helpful.Thumbs Up

Areks' panels are good enough. He will not mind it being said that they are not OEM quality, you do need to play with them a bit, but it is considerably easier to do that than make them from scratch.

Me, very experienced, I think not. I have had to learn quickly, and certainly would not have got half as far as I am now without the help of some of the more elder statesmen of this parish.Hug
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 15 at 13:52
Hate to see LT's being scrapped just because of a bit of rust, mechanically they are very reliable as a rule.

Welding to mot standards isn't too difficult to learn, and you can buy a working gasless welder on ebay for as little as £50. Can't imagine how you were quoted £1000 for welding unless it's all cosmetic bodywork i.e. not mot related. This takes longer as the metal is thinner and can distort.
Dunno where you are based but I'd be happy to show you how to weld.
If you were going that route (lots of money) then a re-spray isn't going to be cheap, although if you spend the time you could roller it with rustoleum.

Scrap value is probably £150 - 200 if it were me I'd spend £50 of it on an mot to see what needs to be done. If it's not too bad then you could have at least a couple more years use out if the LT, and sort out the bodywork as time permits.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 15 at 18:14
Just to add some balance a Lt2 2.5tdi is a great van! Light years ahead of the original for power economy and performance. The choice is yours!
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

wheresthatgonenow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheresthatgonenow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 15 at 18:25
Originally posted by jason k jason k wrote:

Just to add some balance a Lt2 2.5tdi is a great van! Light years ahead of the original for power economy and performance. The choice is yours!
i`ll second that statment
EllTee35 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EllTee35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 15 at 22:47
Balance is good thanks guys.  Trouble with an LT2/Sprinter is for what I can afford, I'd end up with something with pretty poor bodywork at the price.  From what I can see, the LT2/Sprinter range are plagued with the same age related rust problems as the predecessor.

In terms of performance, I'm happy pootling along at 60-70mph... it is the tdi version so not too shabby really although I'm certain the newer models offer both better performance/economy having driven a few sprinters.  Either way, that's no biggy for me.

@LTCAMPER89 - thanks again for your valuable feedback - most appreciated and will no doubt use the links you posted if/when I go ahead with this "project".

@AndyT - much appreciate the feedback and the kind offer, I'll pm you if I decide to go down the DIY route as would really help.   Im going to see someone next week for a quote to shot blast the rust out.  If that sounds too dear, I'll try and attempt a DIY grinder job and then go from there.

Worried that I'll quite literally be opening a rusty can of worms once I start on this so taking some time to consider options etc.

I'll try and post some pics of the extent of rust or maybe even a video as could give a better idea of what I'm up against.

Thanks so much to everyone for the input so far, it is most appreciated. :)
madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 15 at 17:32
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum

Edited by madra - 25 Mar 18 at 21:33
BigAl68 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAl68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 15 at 20:09
Hi EllTee35. Welcome aboard. Don't pay too much notice to the length of time my project is taking. It's in my mate's business premises and what with his opening hours, my shifts, the wonderful North East weather and occasionally not being arsed all taken into account, that's why It seems to have taken so long. If I could work on it outside the house, it would have been finished years ago. I would echo all the advice already given and get it tested then see where you are at. Good luck.

Cheers

Allan
1995 LT 35 Self Built Camper 2.4 TDI
Hayling_Bay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayling_Bay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 15 at 07:44
Hi Elltee35,

Having just seen your post and knowing how it feels, I have been welding my mums friends van on and off the last 2 years, I very recently have got to know a guy called Peter who breaks down MK1 LT's, he does have right now a van with excellent chassis rails (shame he didn't have them 18months ago) and rear arches, I know he will have the van for at least another week before he scraps what's left of it. If you want his number: Peter 07928 748150
Don't get rid of your van!
Mark.
 Post Reply Post Reply