The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Westfalia forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plastic LPG tank cover fitting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stefvan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plastic LPG tank cover fitting
    Posted: 19 Jun 15 at 14:58
Hi
the tank cover is missing from my LPG tank, I have seen on Ebay a VW Plastic cover, that comes supplied with hinges, pop rivets, and a key, presumably it folds out downwards when it opens and the hinges fix to the projecting lip, how does the key keep it shut ?

randolph57 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randolph57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 15 at 15:30
Gunzl sells the plastic cover and mounting bracket which IMO is a bit pricy for a fragile (quite)cover.
Sold mine as it came fitted with a stainless cover and looks loads better.
Other options are second-hand or try Simon at vw-T3-direct (on ebay) who I Know is breaking a westy at the moment.
01209 612224

link:-http://www.vwbusshop.de/epages/GuenzlClassicParts.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/GuenzlClassicParts/Products/255070663D

I'll try and get a picture of the stainless cover up

ooops just seen Baxter sells them at :-https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/index.php/gas-tank-cover-t3-westy.ht

Edited by randolph57 - 19 Jun 15 at 16:00
randolph57 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randolph57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 15 at 15:51

Cover has sticker on it wynen-gas.de whom I expect fitted/serviced the gas tank at some point before I imported the van.
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 15 at 22:00
Originally posted by Stefvan Stefvan wrote:

Hi

how does the key keep it shut ?

It operated a metal tongue that locks behind the upturned lip on your gas tank.

The lock is not for security, it's to keep the cover in place only.  Anybody with an ounce of strength could rip it open.  Flimsy construction is probably why yours is missing.

As has been said, I'd fish about for a metal one.  I got a plastic one from Germany and for what it cost it wasn't great.  Broke in less than 3 months of light use, and I had to use my own bolts to fit it because the supplied fitting kit wasn't any good (rivets extended to far and fouled the gas system).

Back in the slow lane, yeah!
 Post Reply Post Reply