The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > Show pictures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Photos from a week in Islay

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t3pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Photos from a week in Islay
    Posted: 02 Jun 15 at 15:59
Had a fantastic (if not a tad wet & windy) week away in Islay & Jura. It's a truly magical place - great folk, quiet roads & some fantastic camping spots. We included the obligatory occasional wee dram of course but managed to stay sober enough to take a few pictures.
caravelledriver View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caravelledriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 15 at 08:10
great photos looks a beautiful place on my bucket list of places......
1990 t3 caravelle lhd 1.6td capri blue/marine blue
1986 t3 lhd westfalia club joker hightop 1.6 td marsala red
2007 t30 lwb 2.5 tdi
fragilecolin View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fragilecolin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 15 at 21:29
Beautiful! I would love to go.. are there camping restrictions on the beaches or is it free for wild camping?
On bended knee is no way to be free.
t3pete View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote t3pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 15 at 22:17
You can pretty much camp where you want within reason. Kintra Farm Campsite is pretty good with excellent viewpoints from the beach. There's another site at Port Charlotte, it's ok but is just a big field and not as attractive as Kintra. I'd say just go - the island is incredibly relaxed & nobody will really give a damn where you camp. You can see from the photos where we wild camped - head there & you'll have a great time & make sure you have funds for the odd bottle of single malt!
hugocathargo View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hugocathargo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 15 at 21:15
Looks great how long did it take to get there from York ? been to Apple cross on west coast but in a car took ages but well worth it lovely place
Wyandotte View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wyandotte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 15 at 20:36
Hey Pete - really enjoyed your pics. We took our T3 from Brighton to Islay in 2008.  Had to put 2 pints of oil in after the Rest and Be Thankful in Inverary... Fabulous holiday - we camped at Kintra and Port Charlotte and I seem to remember the old pier in Jura was a good park up within tottering distance of the Jura Hotel. Great place.
t3pete View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t3pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 15 at 19:27
Thanks Wyandotte, Tis' a grande place up there. Hopefully going again next year sometime.

Hugocarthgo - apologies for the late reply - just got back from a mammoth tour of the Pyrenees - pics following soon!
I'm not sure how long it took in total to get up to Islay from York as we made a detour to Fife for a family visit. A good 5-6 hrs I would imagine though. We're thinking of spending New Year in a cottage up in the Applecross area so any tips on where to go would be appreciated.
Ta, Pete.
hugocathargo View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hugocathargo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 15 at 20:23
Hi we stayed in a croft about 5 miles up the cost in a hamlet called quaig a short walk from a beach with seals wonderful sunsets .there is a beach called sand which was on TV a few years ago the program was called monty halls great escape s also wonderfull if you get the weather ☔️.The cottages in Apple cross get booked a year in advance the old post office near the pub for example I think we booked ours through wilderness cottages but you will soon find some on the Internet I look forward to your pics of the Pyrenees ...... Danny .....
 Post Reply Post Reply