The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Getting my LT back on the road

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outtatime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting my LT back on the road
    Posted: 22 Apr 15 at 22:57
Hi All,
 just thought i'd post a bit of a ramble on here about getting my LT back on the road. Was delivered to the workshop Monday evening and pushed slowly into the unit where i'll be working on it.

First impressions, it's big! Wondered whether it was going to fit under the roller shutter at one point (Note to self don't buy the 4x4 version without getting a bigger unit)

Spent a while opening windows and vents to help clear the musty smell, then spent ages trying to figure out how to open the rear doors (Doh!)

Today got at the engine bay, and looked at the rusty bores (ooh eck) and tried to free the pistons up, initially no go but after lots of WD40, jacking up the rear and levering the prop shaft while in reverse it freed off, Hurrah!!

More WD40 and the temporary loan of a battery off project number 1 (Land rover discovery) managed to spin engine over with starter motor, checked lights horn, wipers etc and they all work too!

Need to source cam belt kit, head gasket, head bolts, rocker gasket so far, oh and figure out where things go. 

Next ramble soon hopefully with pics too.

PS if dr-rob is reading this we've almost decided on a name for the van either 'The Captain' or 'Morgan'
(It all becomes clear when you see the reg for those that are wondering)Wink

Glenn
dr-rob View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr-rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 15 at 20:26
Hi Glenn,
It's great to see it's getting the attention it deserves,
There is a Tec section on here that should help.
The biggest decision and probably the most important is which name lol:-)
little trixie the lt28 [1985]
diva the disco
lucy the land rover
1200 sportster
bike in boxes
so babe iv seen this.... NOOOO...No more projects.... yeah but.... I SAID NOOOO
Bloody mrs
outtatime View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outtatime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 15 at 20:41
Hi Rob, i've been 'instructed' by the powers that be, that the van shall henceforth be known as Morgan. I'm only allowed to buy vehicles & fix them but not name them lol

Hope to post some pics later tonight ( when i've read up on how to do it), so you will be able to see it's progress back to road worthiness as i go along.

Quick question, the previous owner that you bought the van from, do you know why/how long he had it for as that is when it seems to have fallen out of use.

Cheers
outtatime View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outtatime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 15 at 23:49
Just a little update on my progress so far (read not a lot)

Cleaned up the head a little by giving it a poor mans skim (glass plate and wet or dry) did the same to the block and they're both getting towards being flat again now.

Started cutting out some of the rot and fabricating new sections, as well as sorting out some of the spaghetti wiring ( I hate doing electric stuff!)

Just need to order a cambelt/pump/waterpump kit and new set of head bolts and i can attempt to move on to timing and hopefully getting the beasty running!

Oh and also discovered it's a very good idea to keep your face well away from suction dent pullers when you're using them, unless you enjoy punching yourself  fairly hard in the face when they suddenly lose suction!! Wacko

More updates to follow... 

(Yes i will add pictures at some stage honest)
LT28 2.4TD (DV) Camper 'Morgan'(H998 RUM)
LT40 2.4TD (DV) Camper D562 RCY
Discovery 200 TDI
Discovery 300 TDIx3 (Tetley,Lileth & ????)
Skoda Felicia
BMW F650 GS
KTM 200 EXC
Honda Trail 90 (CT90)
John F View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 15 at 09:34
Good luck with the rebuild... at least you'll always be under cover working on an LT top end :-)

Just noticed how many people are into bikes and Land Rovers as well in here... ace!
'97 LR Discovery 300 TDi
'94 Vauxhall Calibra V6
'91 Maserati 222 SE
'88 VW LT35 camper
'86 Honda CBX 750F
'82 Suzuki GSX1100SZ Katana
outtatime View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outtatime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 15 at 10:03
Yep, that's one nice feature of LT's over Land rovers can work in the dry on the engine.

Not that it matters much now anyhow, rented myself an industrial unit a few months back to work on the Land Rovers as i'm past the age where it's fun to be outside in the cold and damp so the LT is under cover too. Smile
LT28 2.4TD (DV) Camper 'Morgan'(H998 RUM)
LT40 2.4TD (DV) Camper D562 RCY
Discovery 200 TDI
Discovery 300 TDIx3 (Tetley,Lileth & ????)
Skoda Felicia
BMW F650 GS
KTM 200 EXC
Honda Trail 90 (CT90)
 Post Reply Post Reply