The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Wheel help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Am I the only one that doesnt understand?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bren68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Am I the only one that doesnt understand?
    Posted: 07 Apr 15 at 23:14
Hehe, I bet I'm not the only one that doesn't really know what all these figures mean about different wheels, but at the risk of sounding stupid........what does offset or ET actually mean, and what difference does it make? And what do you do to compensate for it?
Looking at some wheels that were on a T4, they are 16",  5x112 pcd, so thats fine,  but ET is 42, what does that mean in terms of fitting the to a T3?
Cheers.
If it ain't broke......you ain't trying hard enough!
Titus A Duxass View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Titus A Duxass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 15 at 06:10
All you need to know is here - http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/VehicleSpecific/T3/info/mods/alloys/altwhls.htm

Edited by Titus A Duxass - 08 Apr 15 at 06:11
Bollocks to it all!!
51°24′N 12°52′E
Bren68 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bren68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 15 at 09:07
Cheers, Titus. Thumbs Up
(still don't really understand why "offest" is important, but guessing its something to do with physics and keeping the wheel spinning straight etc, but physics was never my strong point, but at least I know what it is and how to deal with it)
Thanks for the link.
Bren.
If it ain't broke......you ain't trying hard enough!
Bromy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bromy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 15 at 13:57
offset in "simples" determines how far out, or in your wheel will fit in your arch from your hub follow? imagine if you could move your rim either way but leaving the hub in the same place? I know what I mean anyway
"follow the masses, do the opposite"
booted View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 15 at 15:17
ET is the difference in mm from the middle of the wheel to the mounting face  (where the back of the wheel touches the hub) of the wheel  so a wheel with ET of zero would have the mounting dead center , sooo a wheel with an ET42 will sit 22mm closer to the suspension than one of 20mm
a t3 would typically use et30 so your et42 wheel would ned a 12mm spacer to have an effective et30

honestly it is very simple once the penny drops
T3ADICT View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3ADICT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 15 at 23:23

you will need to check the width as well.
7x16 et 42 a 12mm spacer would be spot on as booted said (10mm should be fine and easier to get)

if they are 7.5x16 12mm to 15mm spacer
1f they are 8x16 15mm spacer at least.

check the size of the centre hole on the wheels.
if they are originally manufactured for or by Mercedes the centre bore should be big enough.
being et 42 I kind of expect them to be from an Audi.

If that is the case then they will need the centres machined out..
are the wheels are free or very cheap, it could be worth while but often it can be a costly task having wheels machined when others out there fit easier from the outset.

WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough
adyjoad View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adyjoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 15 at 00:01
its important because of this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrub_radius
Planty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Planty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 15 at 10:33
With out wishing to hi-jack the thread....

The bit I don't understand is the weight rated thing.

I have a set of Audi A4 16's I want to use. The stud pattern fits, I get the whole spacing for ET, longer stud etc and machining the centres to fit but is it the alloy, the tyre or the combination that is rated?

I can see the rating on the tyre - I presume I have to get van tyres fitted, but I can see no info regarding weight limit stamped on the wheel anywhere? Apologies if this is a bit of a n00b-dilema ;)

Edited by Planty - 12 Jul 15 at 10:33
Blaize View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blaize Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 16 at 23:42
Broadly speaking the alloy wheel itself doesn't really have a weight rating. While certainly HGV wheels are built of tougher stuff than MINI rims, for our purposes all passenger car and light van weeks are as strong as each other. And in fact the curb weights of a modern audi a4 (to take one example) is getting to be pretty close to what our vans weigh. So these days even car tires weight ratings are close to the same as what a T3 needs if you are not using it commercially.

(no I don't want to argue about it, yes I know van tires are different)
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 16 at 08:06
Not all car wheels are up to the required ratings chap! That's a bit misleading.
The wheels definitely need to be rated to the weight of the van to suggest otherwise is ridiculous
The van has a capacity to be much heavier than a car so needs to be shod accordingly

Edited by jason k - 14 Jan 16 at 08:09
Blaize View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blaize Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 16 at 08:49
Wow, that didn't take long. Forget politics and religion, its tires and oil that are best avoided.

You are absolutely right the van does have the capacity to be heavier and to use under rated tires and or wheels is to endanger both your own life and the lives of every other road user. forget everything I said, ignore me.
chris7ian View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris7ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 16 at 15:46
Originally posted by adyjoad adyjoad wrote:

its important because of this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrub_radius

...which technically can be addressed by adjusting the rolling radius of the wheels if not the ET... and now my head hurts Wacko

Edited by chris7ian - 14 Jan 16 at 15:46
 Post Reply Post Reply