The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

VW LT45 Loss of Power

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeevesraf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VW LT45 Loss of Power
    Posted: 08 Jan 15 at 09:28
Hello,

I'm after a bit of advice please, I have been using my LT45 TD (2.4) Camper as a daily for the last couple of months, with very little issue, until last night when i left work, accelerating from a set of traffic lights going 35-40 mph in 5th gear I had a sudden loss of power, and the van was sluggish to accelerate in 4th or 5th gear. That night I replaced the fuel filter and had a quick look over the engine.  I couldn't see anything wrong.

The next morning, the van started fine and I traveled to work as normal, until I reached the hill on the way.  I had to drop down to 2nd gear where normally (if i get a good enough run up) would be able to tackle it in 4th gear.

So to summerise, I have a lack of power at top end, I am thinking either a fuel restriction or injectors? If I need to get a new set of injectors where is the best place to buy them from?

Any help on this matter would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks in advance,
1986 LT45 TD Camper
Jeevesraf View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeevesraf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 15 at 13:15
It ended up being a turbo issue, loose pipe leaking boost pressure.

Well happy I didn't have to spend any money!
1986 LT45 TD Camper
lorryloader View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 15 at 15:43
Glad to hear that, I did have a few ideas myself but its best to get it from the great engineers on here fist !Good your sorted and still flying the LT 1 flag !
LT-45 HIGH TOP + LT-55-BEVERTAIL.Mercedes Atego tilt n slide with lorry loader crane.
Monster LT View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster LT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 15 at 01:52
Was / Am having the same kind of problem! Got scary recently when we were hit by an articulated lorry as two of 'em tried to pass us on a single carridgeway a 70km/h up a hill with a stream of oncoming traffic visibly ahead. The second lorry forgot we were there dragged us along by our bullbar and almost swept us off the road and down the hill. The offending lorry then proceeded swiftly on his way. We were left at a standstill 70km/h unable to get a glimps even of a number plate.
The hill climb problem progressed over next few weeks and got worse in the Alps, could have been a wind issue.
A cracked / leaky fuel cap may have been partly the problem. We  eventually found a fitting replacement and it seems normal now but we haven't had many hills to deal with lately. Our turbo sounds normal but I will check it out. Thanks for the useful self reply post!

Edited by Monster LT - 15 Jan 15 at 01:57
LT45-TD-ACL-intercooler-4x4-1993
Cableguy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cableguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 15 at 08:11
Monster, you have a 4x4 right?
Mine is also dog slow, think that's as good as it gets.
I'm looking at an engine swap same as Marlow has done.
lorryloader View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 15 at 13:11
Originally posted by Monster LT Monster LT wrote:

Was / Am having the same kind of problem! Got scary recently when we were hit by an articulated lorry as two of 'em tried to pass us on a single carridgeway a 70km/h up a hill with a stream of oncoming traffic visibly ahead. The second lorry forgot we were there dragged us along by our bullbar and almost swept us off the road and down the hill. The offending lorry then proceeded swiftly on his way. We were left at a standstill 70km/h unable to get a glimps even of a number plate.
The hill climb problem progressed over next few weeks and got worse in the Alps, could have been a wind issue.
A cracked / leaky fuel cap may have been partly the problem. We  eventually found a fitting replacement and it seems normal now but we haven't had many hills to deal with lately. Our turbo sounds normal but I will check it out. Thanks for the useful self reply post!

Not nice more like a nightmare ! I can remember this HGV. intimadation when running a non turbo LT,
tailgating and the like ! What i do is show them the brake lights but not applying enough pressure to actually slow down works with most but not all so add the usual abuse/hand signals for better effect !WinkSmile
LT-45 HIGH TOP + LT-55-BEVERTAIL.Mercedes Atego tilt n slide with lorry loader crane.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster LT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 15 at 18:21
Originally posted by Cableguy Cableguy wrote:

Monster, you have a 4x4 right?
Mine is also dog slow, think that's as good as it gets.
I'm looking at an engine swap same as Marlow has done.

Ok! Wow, that engine swap is quite a job right?
Yes, a 4x4 ACL - built mainly for pulling not for speed so high torq low revs, something to do with the ratio of drive pinion or something so I guess you'd need to change something with that to improve top speeds even with the DV24TDiC Volvo motor.?
I know top end is low on these but the probs I described were extraordinary. I've a hunch the broken cap caused lack of pressure in fuel system which caused revs to drop up hill - from a run-up of 90km/h we ended up at 40kmh struggling to accelerate in 3rd-4th-5th. After a few hills it would even begin to have trouble on what seemed flat.
After replacing the cap it pulled a 1-ton trailer easily up hills accelerating without hesitation (seems it loves to pullCool). Still needs further testing though.

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster LT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 15 at 18:26
Originally posted by lorryloader lorryloader wrote:

Originally posted by Monster LT Monster LT wrote:

Not nice more like a nightmare ! I can remember this HGV. intimadation when running a non turbo LT,
tailgating and the like ! What i do is show them the brake lights but not applying enough pressure to actually slow down works with most but not all so add the usual abuse/hand signals for better effect !WinkSmile

Yes, a nightmare ( didn't want to sound dramatic but this kinda sh** happens ).
We end up using the hazard lights alot and we've now stuck an 80km/h warning on the back (for what good that'll do).
Cableguy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cableguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 15 at 20:36
Maybe mInes just fecked then. Also an ACL, normally down to 40kph with just 4 peeps and all our shizzle. Would be going backwards if we towed anything!
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster LT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 15 at 14:07
Clap Amazing Jeevesraf. Checked out the hoseing on our ACL's turbo.... Massive hole!!!
The hose was 3.2mm canvas covered rubber and was melted onto the rocker-cover.
Replaced it with a simlar looking canvas covered hose for fuel delivery which was analmost perfect match.
Works alot better now and due tothe positionI fixed it in shouldn't melt against the cover any time soon I hope.
Jeevesraf View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeevesraf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 15 at 12:50
Happy days,

Glad I could be of assistance!
1986 LT45 TD Camper
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster LT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 20 at 12:09
5 years on and still having issues with engine bogging down uphill, low power, cloud of black smoke from exhaust when underload. Seems intermittent.
Jeevesra, if you're still about do you remember where that turbo leak was and how you found it?
Anyone know a good way to check for turbo boost leaks on he ACL? I have access to a compressor but not sure from which point to pressurise and where to block off when testing.
I want to rule out turbo boost leak before writing these issues off to heavy truck + underpowered engine.

Edited by Monster LT - 03 May 20 at 12:11
 Post Reply Post Reply