The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Diesel cold vs warm start - any adjustments ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote driveby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Diesel cold vs warm start - any adjustments ?
    Posted: 10 Nov 14 at 23:37
Me again ! So the van starts from cold pretty good.

Wait till coil heater light goes out (15 seconds) then about 4-5 cranks and starts.

Once it's warmed to running temp, seems to take more like 12-20 rotations to fire up.
I don't think it'll do the battery much good keeping that up, tend to do 20+ mile drives though.

The heater coil light doesn't, once it's above 1/4 on the temperature gauge (say a mile or so)
Alongside this I'm pushing accelerator pedal down before it gets running. seems to help a lil.

There's what looks like a manual choke knob on the right of the dash.

Without a user guide I'm a bit worried to pull/rotate it in case whatever it is just snaps off haha !
Basically - do I need to lay off the gas when warm starting ? Or pull / rotate the choke ?

mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 14 at 01:41
That's the cold start knob, for sub zero starts. You shouldn't need a foot on the pedal to start it, so something is wrong. Are you sure it's better with a foot on the throttle? This is after a month or two of sitting idle and it barely needs any cranking:

http://youtu.be/sBEsou07EMs?t=20s

Is there any difference in the cranking required if the fuel tank is full, or parked nose up/down on a hill? They can be prone to air leaks allowing fuel to run back from the pump, but this seems unlikely in your case as it is worse when warm.
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
driveby View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote driveby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 14 at 22:22
Hi, yeah fuel tanks usually 50% to full. Normally parked on the flat too.

Starts fine when cold, then I run it for a minute or two to get the oil tp pump round.
I'll try cranking next time without floor to the metal. Perhaps it was a placebo effect :-)

Cheers - Neil
svenakela View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote svenakela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 14 at 05:52
I would say have a timing adjustment and find new injector nozzles. I buy nozzles and injectors on eBay and have always been satisfied.
driveby View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote driveby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 14 at 21:59
Thanks Svenakela, timing belt is going to be changed very soon

I will ask in advance if they can measure and adjust at that time.
Carlos&Hannah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlos&Hannah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 14 at 12:01
Hi guys, i'm running a D24 LT28. starts great in the warm, but is a B*tch to start on these cold mornings. I have what looks to be a choke (didnt think diesels had chokes?), but doesnt appear to be connected to anything anymore. can anyone give me more info as to whether this should do anything on the diesel models, or just for show! thanks

Canada LT28 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 14 at 12:33
It is an advance and should be attached to the injector pump. No doubt someone with more computer skill will be by with a drawing, haha

94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Slow and built to stay that way
87 T3 soon to be a camper
 Post Reply Post Reply