The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anybody done windscreen replacement ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote driveby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anybody done windscreen replacement ?
    Posted: 10 Nov 14 at 23:17
So far not a problem, but got hit with some flying plastic road shrapnel a couple weeks back :-(

There's now a chip about 5-8mm to the middle part of screen - rather than star crack.
I expect it's repairable at a good windscreen place (any recommendations, costs ?)

The worry is very soon we'll get frost and it's likely to spread to an actual crack.

If that happened, even after a repair - are replacement screens available - anybody had to do that ?
And what sort of price, given it's a hefty lump of glass. Assume it's laminated, but no real idea...

Insurance is 3rd part fire/theft sadly.

Cheers - Neil

mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 14 at 01:30
I tried, but failed. Called out one fitter, he gave up too! Autoglass did the job though, and I've used them a few times since as it's now the third or fourth screen in there since I've owned it. Apparently the job is easier with an old seal rather than a brand new one.
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 14 at 06:06
Before I got my van, the screen had just been replaced. That was two and a half years ago or so.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
Canada LT28 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 14 at 11:46
I'll have to do it too before spring. Not looking forward to it. That said, I though I would have to ship one over from Europe but they are available here because Freightliner used the body in the 90s. Rare though.

94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Slow and built to stay that way
87 T3 soon to be a camper
driveby View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote driveby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 14 at 22:20
Ouch mat, expensive hobby. What's the damage, about 500 at a wild guess ?

Am a bit surprised if they're even available, assume a few weeks wait ...
Rabbit 16v View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbit 16v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 14 at 06:37
Fortunately I havent had to do one on my LT, but I have done hundreds of other VW rubber seal windscreens. Ive only broken 5 and that was a very long time ago ;)
Chris
1985 LT40 4x4 2.5 TDI
1987 LT28 Florida
1985 LT45 Sülzer D24TI
1992 LT40 4x4 D24t
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 14 at 13:16
If I was unlucky and didn't have windscreen cover I'd try to repair it asap.
Nothing to lose and if you catch it before it cracksSmile.

http://www.frost.co.uk/glass-chip-repair-kit.html

Postage is expensive from frost for small orders, so check ebay etc.

LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 14 at 16:01
Think it was around £250 including fitting, and not a long wait a couple of years ago. I don't know why the first fitter had trouble but it seemed like it needed more force to pull it into place than I dared exert on it!

I really don't have much luck with screens - had to replace 9 on various vehicles in the 8 years we've lived here, and none in the 7 years I'd been driving before that. At least now I can afford fully comp insurance on some of the fleet...

Think the LT is more prone than others due to the high speed it travels at big flat frontal area with no bonnet, although one of the breakages was swerving into a hedge to avoid someone suddenly veering onto my side of the road Ouch

Edited by mat_the_cat - 13 Nov 14 at 16:03
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 14 at 15:12
That's unlucky mate, I'm an old git and have no idea how many millions of miles I've driven but never had one windscreen fail. Ducked a few times when stuff fell off a lorry but so far it just bounced.
Guess it all evens out in the long term, bought a few pups over the years that have cost me plenty.
My LT though, biggest bill ever has been the MOT certificate.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

lorryloader View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 14 at 13:26
Doh ! broke one on the last van I was scrapping !
LT-45 HIGH TOP + LT-55-BEVERTAIL.Mercedes Atego tilt n slide with lorry loader crane.
HanoverHeritage View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HanoverHeritage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 15 at 17:58
If anyone stuck:

LT windscreen tinted & clear
Regards,
stu

Edited by HanoverHeritage - 26 Jan 15 at 18:00
www.westfaliasparesuk.com
lorryloader View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 15 at 21:26
Nice one Stu.Thumbs Up
LT-45 HIGH TOP + LT-55-BEVERTAIL.Mercedes Atego tilt n slide with lorry loader crane.
driveby View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote driveby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 15 at 23:18
Forgot to update : National Windscreens said they could get them in 24-48 hours from stock, about £180 quid incl fitting. Seems fair for such a big piece of glass and rubbers.
 Post Reply Post Reply