The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Facelift Reversal????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonnynutt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Facelift Reversal????
    Posted: 31 Oct 14 at 12:46

So...as far as i can see there are three faces to our beloved LTs (maybe more -different badge sizes etc. please correct me at will!)...original mk1 round lights...1st facelift squares and the 2nd facelift square with bumper surrounds.

My question simply is how interchangeable are these grilles? ( bear with me I have tried 'search').

My wagon is dated 1995 and although im a believer in keeping everything stock and true...gotta say I'm not a massive fan of the faded grey bulky surround of the later facelift.

So if in some fit of madness I decided to go full retro with the round headlights..how easy /impossible would this be to change??

(This question comes from a previous T3 owner who constantly wanted to change his poor round lights with the cooler square ones!!...fickle is the word!)

anyway..cheers for reading!
Jonny
suzuki gs500e 1985
Lt 35 2.4d 1995
suzuki gsx750ez 1982
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 14 at 13:03
I remember something about there being clips on the moulding of the later ones, #3, which prevented them being fitted to #1#2 without modification.

Could be wrong mind though.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 14 at 18:53
You're right Chris, there are several small mushroom shaped clips welded to the front panel on the later ones, so they'd need to be ground off for a neat finish.
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
jonnynutt View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonnynutt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 14 at 00:03
Cheers for the info... back to black it is๐Ÿ˜Š
suzuki gs500e 1985
Lt 35 2.4d 1995
suzuki gsx750ez 1982
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 14 at 00:55
I've actually just painted mine with black plastic paint - I initially thought it used to be black and had just faded! Although looking at old brochures they do show it being a darker grey.

I think it doesn't look too bad even if not strictly original.

Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
 Post Reply Post Reply