The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

71 degrees North

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 71 degrees North
    Posted: 26 Oct 14 at 10:56
NEWS IN AUTO HOUSE
10/8/2014
And he runs and runs and runs
With the LT40 to the northernmost point of mainland Europe street

After over 20 years in the fire service this was LT 40 wheel of DR Josef Gasch from Hochwolkersdorf in the Hunchback world rebuilt with painstaking work on a mobile camping. In addition to a high roof and numerous reconstructions in the interior of the Allradtantrieb also been modified (new transfer case).

This lovingly restored vehicle Dr Gasch reached this year in summer the northernmost point of mainland Europe's road: the lighthouse Slettens in Norway, 3.360km away from home.

We wish Dr Gasch much joy with his vehicle and as many accident-free adventure trips.

I am not ready to to 2000 miles from home yet, but fair play, and in a Fire-EngineThumbs Up

Dodgy Google German translation just makes it funny.

1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
lorryloader View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 14 at 14:32
Yep (wish the like button was easier to hit on here !)
LT-45 HIGH TOP + LT-55-BEVERTAIL.Mercedes Atego tilt n slide with lorry loader crane.
snappa View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 14 at 20:57
WOW what a roadtrip, wonder if he took the missus ? we should get Dr Josef in the Yard & find out more bout his red engine !
91 LT31 2.4 LWB Devon bus 13,000 mls,   85 LT31 2.4, LWB Camper conversion.           88 BX GTI 34,000
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 14 at 12:45
Originally posted by snappa snappa wrote:

WOW what a roadtrip, wonder if he took the missus ? we should get Dr Josef in the Yard & find out more bout his red engine !

Watch this spaceBig smile
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Waldfahrer View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waldfahrer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 14 at 10:44
Hi,

i'm pleased about your interest in my car and the journey this year!

So at first, I will introduce myself in this forum. Please, bear with my not always perfect 
English Embarrassed, dont't hesitate to ask if I use inappropriate/unclear terms.

I live in eastern Austria near Wiener Neustadt. I am a LT1 User since 1986. This was an 4x2 LT40 
1981 Diesel (CP), wich I used since 2012 with no major problems.

With this car I made numerous trips across Europe; e.g. to Spain, France, Scandinavia.
Another use was heavy transport of house construction material.

Then, in 2012 I found my current one, a 1985 LT 40 4x4 Turbodiesel (DV). This is a former fire engine, a so called KLFA (small fire engine, all-wheel-drive) for a fire-fighting squad of 8 persons.

This type is still in regular fire-fighting use in Austria in a considerable number (30-50 in my 
estimation) but will be phasing out in the next few years. Most of them have petrol engines but
some with (Turbo-) diesel also exists.

At first, i had to change the administrative approvals:
+ reduction of the gross vehicle weight from 4.4t to 3.5t
+ the firemen-seats in the passenger compartment are not permitted for civil use because missing seat belts. So I had to remove them and mount a bench seat from the Crafter with integrated safety belts to achieve the (re-)approval of 4 seats including the front seats.
+ Dismounting of fire horn and blue lights
+ Change of type "special vehicle" to "passenger car" (M1G)

After gaining approval, I made further conversions:
Almost all fire engines have the low sheet metal roof, which is very uncomfortable for continuant
use in traveling. So I removed most of the metal roof (with exception over the drivers 
compartment and around the upper frame). Then I removed the GFK high roof and the hoops (hope this is the term Wink) from the donor vehicle, a 85 LT40 4x2.
Then I mount the roof on my car by welding the hoops and bond the roof with "Siikaflex 252UV".

Another Conversion was the replacement of the original transfer case NP208 with a NP242 from the jeep cherokee. The advantage is addition of a permanent 4WD-mode, which can also be used on hard surface.
If you are interested in pictures of the car, I posted several pics in the German LT-Friends -
Forum under the same nickname, e.g. in this thread:
http://www.lt-freunde.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=95&t=9349#p50607

In 2013 I was ready to start the first longer journey - at least I thought so.
Unfortunately, after the fist 1000 miles there were air bubbles in the coolant, so I turned back. 

After removal, we saw the the whole disaster - fissures in the cylinder head despite the low mileage of less than 18k miles!
Obviously the firemen manhandled the engine!

After replacement of the head I started a first test drive this year in upper Italy, traversing more than 20 mountain pass roads (Very impressive landscapes!).
As there were no problems I started a new try for a round-trip to Scandinavia. This time, all was going well, the LT made the 9000km (5600 miles?) without any problem! 

If you are interested in pictures of the Journey, I could give you a link to a short travel report, presently in german, but I could translate it.

Best greetings from Lower Austria, Josef

Edited by Waldfahrer - 08 Nov 14 at 10:53
LT40 4x4, '85, DV, NP242
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 14 at 11:02
Welcome JosefBeerHandshake

Your English is considerably better than any German we could manage, so thank you for the effort.

I am sure we would love to see the journey too, and your translation, if not too much, will be better than Google which makes LT-Freunde a trial to read.

Our generous benefactors, Brickwerks, have a swear filter with which they have some fun, changing ordinary terms into something else. The adhesive you used, 252UV for instance.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 14 at 23:30
Welcome along! Interesting to read your story and don't worry about your language - it's better than some English speakers I know.

I guess that the cracks in the cylinder head are a good reminder to always let the engine warm up before giving full throttle...probably not usually possible when used as a fire engine!
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waldfahrer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 14 at 08:31

Thank you for the friendly welcome!

I currently work on the translation of the travellog, coming soonSmile

Mat, i also think so, additionally the fire station was on top of a hill, so it could have been, that the driver(s) often stop the hot engine without give time to cool down in idle running.

LT40 4x4, '85, DV, NP242
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waldfahrer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 14 at 10:55
LT40 4x4, '85, DV, NP242
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 14 at 16:56
Thank you for your effort Josef, fantastic trip.

?How did you manage the Trollstigen, apart from slowly?

Since you had already done the road in another LT40, ?Which engine did the earlier van have?

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waldfahrer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 14 at 06:35
Oh, Trillstigen is no problem to drive at all, even with my former LT40 with CP Engine (75 PS). Actually, Big Buses and even juggernauts can make it (see Youtube ;-).

More challenge I found in the upper Italy Alps, e.g. on Passo di Col di Caneva, with pretty narrow hairpin bends and gradient up to 18%.

This road is closed for motorhomes, but my LT is licensed as a "normal" passenger car, not least for this reasonTongue!

Passo di Col di Caneva, Italy

LT40 4x4, '85, DV, NP242
timaldiss View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timaldiss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 14 at 22:48
Awesome. Thanks for being such an inspiration
-------
I have a history of VW LT camper van addiction: http://campervanman.co.uk
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 14 at 23:47
We were checking ferries from Newcastle today, believing that we could get to Stavanger. The only ones available are to Amsterdam now.Angry

My memory must be truly shot.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Post Reply Post Reply