The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Correct Best Oil LT35

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beneedle67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Correct Best Oil LT35
    Posted: 17 Sep 14 at 13:43
Hi all,

We have this austrian lt35 petrol 2.4 1989. What's the right/best oil
The german manual says use VW500.00 or a branded oil to API SF 'Leichtlauf' - low viscosity
When asking in a motor factors they recommend either a 15w40 or a 10w40 in a VW dealer they say 5w40 - all part synthetic.

Reading up about oil specs I see that later specs are enviromentally better but perhaps lack lubrication power for 2 valve engines and something like our 6 cylinders would be happier with early oil specs and certainly not later the API SL - this is what I have in there at the moment a 10w40 API SL.

Is the API related to the viscosity? I see that there is a castrol 15w40 with a API SF - Is it SF becasue it'S a 15w40.

Short form question is What do you use? What is the best oil for our LT?
Sorry for such a basic question but might as well do the best and I like knowing these things becasue

Thank you as ever. 
Yours. Ben

Ben Eedle
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 14 at 15:35
In a nutshell, the API ratings mean a 'better' oil, the higher the letter. By better it means more additives giving less sludge, less deposits and less wear. Generally there is no harm in going with a higher letter, with the possible exception of very old engines (pre-50s) with white metal bearings, which tend to suffer with the modern additive package used. (They require ZDDP, an additive which is no longer used as it harms catalytic converters).

Viscosity has no relation to the API rating, and neither to whether it is synthetic or not although it's easier to find synthetic oils in lower viscosities. If the manual gives a viscosity range for the ambient temperature you use the van in I would stick with that, and go with SF or higher. The current 'best' oil at the time was SG, so the higher grades simply did not exist back then.

Some people may recommend a higher viscosity on an old (worn) engine, and I might agree IF you were suffering from oil pressure problems. (Although this would be treating the symptoms rather than the cause).

The 40 part of the viscosity relates to the thickness when hot, so in terms of that they are all identical. The 5/10/15 part relates to the viscosity when cold, in which case the 5 grade oil will be thinner, yet still much thicker than it will be when hot so it would be fine to use it on that basis - i.e. the limiting factor is the hot viscosity, not the cold.
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
Uberhare View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uberhare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 14 at 02:09
I've been running Fuchs Supersyn 5w40 in mine.

beneedle67 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beneedle67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 14 at 10:24
Hi. 

Thanks for the replies. Sorry for the delay in my reply but I've been without access to the Web.

So I'm taking it that a 10w40 low viscosity is more than fine. The VW dealer suggested a 5w40 with the latest API. The independent motor factors a 15w40 with API SF Comma Uk recommend a 10w40 API SL. 

'Leichtlauf' as per the German users manual translates as 'low viscosity'.

Best. Ben

Ben Eedle
 Post Reply Post Reply