The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Westfalia forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

fitting shower to westy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fitting shower to westy
    Posted: 27 Jul 14 at 22:36
Hi All

Thinking about rigging up some sort of shower to  the van, am thinking that it  could be set up in the rear
 storage cupboard on a reel  with a shower head poking throu  the rear fascia panel.and ultimatley plumbed in to the mains tank  ? (handy for wild camping )

Has anyone  had a go at this ?

cheers

Winchweight View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winchweight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 14 at 10:12
There's a few knocking round the Syncro scene. I'm think abpout making one as well, but using a 12v pump inside a black 5 gallon jerry can mounted on the side of the van.

I am wondering about recycling the water around the rear underseat heater system via a heat exchanger to warm the water when the sun hasn't done enough.

I an considering disconnecting and removing the underseat heater as we have an Eber, then putting the water into the hot side of the heat exchanger, and the shower water into the cold side. It will then recycle through the jerry can until its warm enough, at which point I will divert it to the shower head.

Just thoughts in my head at present though.
The Fat and the Furryous
rett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 14 at 22:35
Hi fella
interesting  to here your take on it,  i have the eber on my westy,  it hadnt crossed my mind to intergrate  it.
saying that  ,i dont have enough grey matter in that area  to take it on .
ive seen a set up on go westy that fits on the roof bars,  heats with solar and then manual  pressure ,to maintain it. just more stuff eh, best to utilise what we got .
 am going to tackle it arond dec sometime,
when i get it sorted will give u an update
cheers

clift_d View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clift_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 14 at 02:31
We've got one of the Kampa Geyser showers - it uses gas to heat the water up from the BBQ point on the Westy gas tank, and a 12V supply from the lighter socket to run the ignition and a pump which you drop into a bucket of water. If you want the water really hot you can recirculate it into your source bucket before final use. We've mostly used ours to heat up water for washing etc, but it does come with a shower hose.

1988 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker syncro
rett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 14 at 22:50
thats some serious glamping equipment chap, cheers for the info .

youthy giblets View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youthy giblets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 14 at 22:59
Solar shower, cheap and easy. Even if it doesn't get that hot any shower is better than no shower....if your desperate shut the curtains and have a bed bath with the trusty baby wipes. Not ideal but better than feeling dirty all day
rett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 14 at 23:16
yea ive done the solar shower ,  the thing is i cant be arsed with  it half the time ,
but will prbs be using it again this summer ,you need a telescopic pole for them really i think,thats got me thinking now !!
just cause ya breathing dont mean ya alive
gazza7200 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazza7200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 14 at 21:07
Have thought about fitting a shower, then saw this and lost the plot!

http://www.drivenachodrive.com/about-nacho/water-1/
http://www.drivenachodrive.com/about-nacho/water-2/
http://www.drivenachodrive.com/about-nacho/water3/
http://www.drivenachodrive.com/about-nacho/water-4/

Gaz.
rett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 14 at 22:06
    funnily enough   had thoght about riging up that type of system maself .
      LOL

Fair play to the boy   though .

just cause ya breathing dont mean ya alive
Jeavsy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeavsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 14 at 15:42
Can't match the Nacho complexities, but just back from some wild camping in South Wales and the Green Man festival where we deployed our shower system. It consists of a 12V shower from eBay, a folding bucket from same place, a screen set up around the rear door and the washing up bowl to stand in! Hot water either comes from boiling a kettle, or the solar shower bag. One bucket does me and the 2 kids or my missus. I have an extra 12V socket on the back of our Westy's dildo block, but power cable is quite long. Shower gives plenty of pressure and using a "ship shower" routine means that you minimise water usage.
Jeavsy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeavsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 14 at 17:44
Oops - forgot about that swear filter!

Extra 12V socket and double USBs are mounted in a modified vent grill on the end of the unit containing a number of domestic devices associated with the storage and preparation of food. Hope that clears THAT up!
qtronix View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qtronix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 14 at 00:05
i was thinking of making something like this  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI9YlsyX57w
86ClubJoker View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86ClubJoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 15 at 13:47
Originally posted by clift_d clift_d wrote:

We've got one of the Kampa Geyser showers - it uses gas to heat the water up from the BBQ point on the Westy gas tank, and a 12V supply from the lighter socket to run the ignition and a pump which you drop into a bucket of water. If you want the water really hot you can recirculate it into your source bucket before final use. We've mostly used ours to heat up water for washing etc, but it does come with a shower hose.

Reviving an old thread...

Do you run the gas burner directly off the Westy gas tank at 50mBar pressure (which is the standard pressure of the regulator on the Westy)? Or do you need to have a 30mBar adapter/regulator (if there is such a thing) to get the flame right? Most UK gas appliances seem to be 30mBar as far as I know (not an expert in such things!).

Thanks

John

clift_d View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clift_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 15 at 11:02
The gas feed connects into the Westy BBQ point, goes through a second stage regulator that drops the pressure from 50mbar to 37mbar and then into the Kampa Geyser. Simples.
86ClubJoker View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86ClubJoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 15 at 12:39
Good man! I hadn't heard of such a thing as a "second stage regulator" before, and that's exactly what I would need (for barbecues, water heater, ...). Thank you!

John
clift_d View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clift_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 15 at 12:50
Originally posted by 86ClubJoker 86ClubJoker wrote:

Good man! I hadn't heard of such a thing as a "second stage regulator" before, and that's exactly what I would need (for barbecues, water heater, ...). Thank you!

John

I got it with hose end fittings and fitted it to quick release connectors, like the Westy BBQ point, with short lengths of gas hose - it means that I can just plug it inline with anything that needs it.
 Post Reply Post Reply