The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Wheel help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Space saver spare wheel.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benji89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Space saver spare wheel.
    Posted: 06 Jul 14 at 11:06
Wanting to get a space saver for a spare wheel. Does it matter about what size you get as I know your ment to keep the same size wheels on the drive axle or it messes the diff up. On the rear I'm running 245/45/16. Only thinking about space saver as I want to put it at the front where it should be but my van is low and I don't know if I would get a std size wheel out.
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 14 at 16:29
messing up diffs is syncro territory!
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
SebRogers View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SebRogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 14 at 06:57
Originally posted by Benji89 Benji89 wrote:

Wanting to get a space saver for a spare wheel. Does it matter about what size you get as I know your ment to keep the same size wheels on the drive axle or it messes the diff up. On the rear I'm running 245/45/16. Only thinking about space saver as I want to put it at the front where it should be but my van is low and I don't know if I would get a std size wheel out.

Don't forget load rating.

I had a Merc space saver for my T3 which was within about 5% of the rolling circumference of my stock wheels. I think it was from a C or S class... something pretty big, anyway.
'85 T3 Doka EJ22
'94 T4 Westy Cali Club ABT 2.4td
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 14 at 08:03
245 45 16 is physically a smaller rolling radius than a standard 185 14.

But only just. I'd run the standard spare.
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

SebRogers View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SebRogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 14 at 12:21
Also... not sure a space saver will fit in the wheel carrier without rattling around (I carried mine in the van)
'85 T3 Doka EJ22
'94 T4 Westy Cali Club ABT 2.4td
chris7ian View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris7ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 14 at 15:33
Originally posted by SebRogers SebRogers wrote:

Also... not sure a space saver will fit in the wheel carrier without rattling around (I carried mine in the van)

You're right, it does rattle around... unless you do as I have and place an inflated inner tube above it Smile

I chose to use a space saver (which I used to keep inside my Bay) for the same reason as the OP - height. Although not superslammed, my Bluestar had a stock alloy asa spare which was a pain to get out, and would be even more of a pain I'd had a flat at the front!
Benji89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benji89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 14 at 17:16
Think ide use some way to bolt it in as I don't seem to have a proper carrier that I should have anyway. It gets in the way when I have it in the back. Plus if I have it under the front then it should weight the front down abit more!
chris7ian View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris7ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 14 at 12:30
...just remember to check the space saver actually fits!

I had the need to fit mine on Sunday evening (having destroyed a new tyre Angry ) but when I got the spacesaver a couple of years ago I knew it'd only fit on the back of my bus.

This was ok since I had the same size tyres all around and just meant a front puncture would involve fitting the spare to the rear then the rear on front

...except last year I decided to go wth larger tyres on the back which won't work under the front archesEmbarrassed
 Post Reply Post Reply