The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Wheel help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Home made VW centre caps for Merc steels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Home made VW centre caps for Merc steels
    Posted: 16 Apr 14 at 21:08
I thought I'd share this if it's of interest to anyone with Merc steels fitted. I've been looking for centre caps for my steels and made up these using 321601171A Mk1 Golf centre cap and 2K0601169 2003-onwards Caddy centre cap. All you need is a drill bit for a pilot hole, 76mm hole saw, black silicon and some adhesive. I drilled a small pilot hole through the back of the caddy then a larger one that was the same size as the pilot drill on the hole saw. Then turn the cap the right way up and cut the centre out with the hole saw, the golf cap will pop right in. I masked up the edge of the hole and about 5mm up from the bottom of the golf cap to make sure I didn't get epoxy resin everywhere when fixing them and also give me a good edge for the silicon. I was pretty happy with how they came out and hope the info is of use to someone.

Cheers Andy e

Andy e
Allanw View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
SYCOPHANTIC TRAINEE WELSHMAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allanw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 14 at 03:27
Sweet!

Vancafe Mefro caps fit too. I just brought VW badges to replace the VanCafe ones.
Allan :-)

'84 T3 Kombi, EJ25 DOHC, apprentice Viking...

Duct Tape can't fix stupid, but it can MUFFLE the sound.
T3ADICT View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3ADICT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 14 at 15:24
 those look spot on.
do they fit with most type of nut/bolt head or do they need to be the 17mm hex ones used on the caddy ?
WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough
andy e View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 14 at 19:40
Sorry mate, I haven't tried yet as I only made them Tuesday evening.

Cheers Andy e
Andy e
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 14 at 12:03
Nice job Andy! Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply