The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Wheel help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Conversion stud questions.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StvC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Conversion stud questions.
    Posted: 11 Jan 14 at 14:11
Ello

So, knowing I already had longer wheel bolts I was looking forward to finally fitting my newly painted staggered Monoblocks this weekend.
Unfortunately I had tested them through the rears (9J)but the narrower fronts (8J) have a thicker wheel face meaning they're still not long enough which is annoying.

I was given some front conversion studs by a Gent of a bloke on here but what is the process for fitting them securely? A rag and mole grips seem the obvious choice but is this going to get them in tight enough and I don't want to damage the threads?

Additionally, if the rear studs are not long enough is there a good place in the midlands who can do the job properly as per the guide on the site?

Thanks all.
Die Deutsche Doppelkabine ist sehr gut. 150bhp planned
Titus A Duxass View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Titus A Duxass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 14 at 16:08
Double nuts on the studs and a bit of thread locking adhesive.
Bollocks to it all!!
51°24′N 12°52′E
StvC View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StvC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 14 at 16:20
Sorry Titus, I don't get what you mean?
Thread locking I understand but not sure how the double nuts would work to tight the adaptor studs into the hub. Can you elaborate please?

I swear I tested these wheels before I got them painted and fitted tyres but now I've just discovered I've got to get the holes enlarged now as well, so somewhere that can do the rear studs and drill the wheels would be super in West Midlands ideally if anyone can help.

Thanks
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 14 at 16:55
rear studs and drilling wheels would be any machine shop in your area (drill press/pillar drill - hydraulic press) and the front studs titus means wind on one nut onto your stud then wind on another onto the same stud then tighten them against each other then tighten into the hub.
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
StvC View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StvC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 14 at 14:59
Of course, it's weird how the wording of something can paint a different picture to the un-mechanical mind.
Thanks for your help Titus/Dave

Edit: Anyone know of a reliable, sensibly priced machine shop between Stoke and Brum/Worcester?

Edited by StvC - 12 Jan 14 at 15:02
StvC View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StvC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 14 at 23:36
Additionally would the machine shop usually supply the studs or do I have to buy some from somewhere myself. Never used one before.
I know Brickwerks obviously does front conversion studs but for the rear?
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 14 at 07:27
There are Studs on rear already, just buy longer ones.
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

StvC View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StvC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 14 at 11:36
Originally posted by jason k jason k wrote:

There are Studs on rear already, just buy longer ones.
Sorry mate, that was my question, where do I get longer ones from?

Edit: Now I feel like an idiot and I've missed something......I know Brickwerks do conversion studs for the front that screw into the hub. I haven't seen any however for the rear that 'wedge' in cos my understanding is that need to be pressed into the hub, they are not threaded.

I wasn't sure that would be even something you could buy or whether said machine shop would just knock them up from raw material on site, it's only threading a bar with the correct tool presumably.

All the guides just nonchalantly talk about popping in new studs and drilling wheels but finding the people to do it is another matter and with a safety-critical things like wheels and, them staying on, I don't wanna start dicking around in my garage trying to bodge it.

Edited by StvC - 15 Jan 14 at 11:45
BeJay View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 14 at 12:43

here you go    click me 
NIL ILLIGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM
StvC View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StvC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 14 at 14:46
Stupid arse. Don't know where I was looking. Need to measure my wheels as 60mm still seems short.
Thanks though.
 Post Reply Post Reply