The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Wheel help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mercedes AMG Brabus 18" fitment advice needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mercedes AMG Brabus 18" fitment advice needed
    Posted: 02 Jan 14 at 22:50
Hello VW friends!
I have just brought Mercedes CL600 AMG Barbus wheels to fit to my 1986 T3. Firstly not sure if they will fit without driving and handling issues? The wheels are 18" x 8" front and 18" x 9" rear.
The wheels have an ET45 so I assume will need adaptor plates. Does anyone know of the correct size adaptor plates and studs. Also where I can buy them?
I will need to get heavy load tyres to fit on the wheels and don't know what size or where to get them, has anyone brought heavy load tyres to suit this size in the past? I was thinking as they came off of a huge and heavy CL600 that standard CL600 tyres may be acceptable?
I have also heard I may require ad extended sliding door rear hinge. Is this correct and if so does anyone know where I can locate one?
Any help would be gratefully received as I want to make sure I can fit them before looking into buying tyres.
Many thanks
Dando View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 14 at 23:26
Hi,
Just reading some of the other forums I now also have concerns over the wheels fitting in the arches and not protruding? Not sure if wheels passing the arches is an MOT failure aswell?
ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Silence is golden, gaffa tape is silver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 14 at 23:33
I don't know the answer but this might help

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/wheel-fitment-table_topic13832.html

Www.justgiving.com/ELVIS-SUMMERS

Dando View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 14 at 23:46
Good evening Elvis,
I have already looked at the attached, however could not work out what difference spacers would make and assumes the table was for no spacer adjustment?
Any other help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Matt
ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Silence is golden, gaffa tape is silver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 14 at 00:08
If yours are 8 on the front then looks like you will have to use 20mm spacers to bring them out far enough.

If you look at top right of the page when you are on the forum there is a banner for brickwerks, all you need for your T3 and more. Fortunately they don't sell Chinese shit, all parts are oe or equivalent spec.

This gives you idea of tyre/wheel width

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/tyre-size-for-rim-width_topic60146.html

For tyre rating

http://www.ctyres.co.uk/tyre_info/tyre_load_index.html

Max (laden) axle weight divided by two.

Might be a ball ache but trawl through the long thread of wheels where people have put spec,size,tyres, need for spacers up. Lots of pages but someone might have fitted similar.

Sorry, some of the above might be obvious/you know already but hope its a start
Www.justgiving.com/ELVIS-SUMMERS

Dando View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 14 at 11:19
Thanks Elvis I will check it out
booted View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 14 at 11:36
I have 8x18 with 225/40x 18 on the front et 35 with no issues i am running porsche brakes which alters the hub but from memory i had a 5mm spacer up front on standard beakes which gave an effective et of 30.
On the rear i have 9x18 et 35 and a 3mm spacer giving effective et of 32. Again its not standard as i have a rear disc conversion so dont know how this would change on a std set up. Sliding door just clears the wheel. Reartyres are 245/40 x 18
booted View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 14 at 11:41
As you have tge wheels it should be easy enough to work out . Trial fit wheels and work it out from there. . 15mm spacers all round should be about right. Fronts are most likely to foul on top wisbone iif anywhere
Also condition of bushes and suspension camber and caster will have an effect too
T3ADICT View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3ADICT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 14 at 00:57
 you wont need a longer sliding door hindge.
i used 9.5 x18  et 28 ..so stick out more than yours would do and had no problems to open the sliders (twin slider van)

you wont be able to bolt them on the rear without spacers as in quite sure they will catch the upper spring plates on the body of the van.
 between a 10 and 15mm spacer will suit fine on the rear.
you will need longer studs.
best option is once you have fitted longer rear studs try the rear wheels with 10mm spacers. drop the van on the floor and check the space between the tyre and the upper spring platform on the body..
you need to check it with the van on the floor as the wheels camber inward at the top of the wheel the lower it sits.

if a 10mm spacer leaves the tyre/rim edge only just clear  its possible to trim the edge of the spring platform back a bit if you dont want to space them out anymore..
you will probably find that without a spacer they would hit the  welded seam on the suspension arms too.

fronts as said 15mm spacers will be fine..

tyres wise 225-45-18 can be found in a 95 load rating which should be fine on a lower weight van but something a bit higher load rated would be better for a camper.
   225-50-18 can be found in a 99 load rating. (about an inch larger that standard tyres but should clear fine)

245-45-18  or 255-45-18 will be fine on the rear. both can be found in 99 load rating upwards.

WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough
Dando View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 14 at 21:17
Thanks for the help all
Dando View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 14 at 20:36
Well they fit! Can't wait to lower the camper now. Thanks for all the help guys.

Post Reply Post Reply