The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T4 Section. > T4 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

t4 lwb vs swb

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..lee.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: t4 lwb vs swb
    Posted: 09 Nov 13 at 10:49
I`m running a ratty t4 1.9 swb atm but i may have a bit of cash comming my way so thinking its time to move up a bit.

With all the " day vans " on the market atm its bloody difficult to guage the prices on a commercial van that are standard.

I`d apprieciate opinions on owning and running lwb vs swb, do the lwb`s scrub tyres around town.

What are the pro`s and cons to owning and running the lwb and what sort of price should i be looking to spend on a nice 2.5tdi.

Thanks, Lee
it`s a big round cage but there`s too many animals in it for my liking.to address this ring lee on 07977 765818.
pictonroad View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pictonroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 13 at 08:45
Why would a long wheel base scrub tyres? Do you mean if it's lowered or like a HGV going round a tight corner?

You're WAY over thinking this, they're exactly the same but with 400mm of extra metal in the middle. Put your hands straight out, the distance between your hands is what you're talking about. Makes a van easier to use I think but no discernible difference other than if your drive is a very specific length...

As for price, I'd say start at £3k.
On the South Coast....
..lee.. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..lee.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 13 at 09:04
Thanks £3k would be nice if only have to find £2999 after I sell my van then. Lol.

Reason I ask about Lwb is I own a Lwb delica and that chews tyres as it's used around town mainly. If the Lwb t4 is the same i'd favour the swb. If not then the extra room of the Lwb makes sense to me.

Thanks lee.
it`s a big round cage but there`s too many animals in it for my liking.to address this ring lee on 07977 765818.
little.legs View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little.legs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 13 at 09:16
As above re scrubbing the tyres. Why would it? I've had mine 4yrs and never scrubbed a tyre. I find the extra room is great, a bit more floor space. On the slight negative if you fit rear seats they are a bit further back and passengers can seem far away. Doesn't bother my 3yr old though. Small car parking spaces are to be avoided but probably no more than with a swb. Height wise they're the same so no issue there. I'd agree with a base van start price around 3k for something reasonable. Much more if you're wanting a completed conversion. 2.5tdi is great engine. Will sit all day at motorway speeds and return reasonable mpg. Not bad round town either if driven sensibly. I get mid to high 30s around town, 40s on a run.
where's mi t'hammer
..lee.. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..lee.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 13 at 12:10
Don't want a camper / day van I have a t3 Syncro for that. Just want it to replace the swb 1900 d 800 special I have now.

Now I know the lwb's are find around town I'll consider either.

Thanks lee.

jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 13 at 16:13
lee, dean from Britannia tow bars in Swansea normally has a few t4s for sale, dp67bug on here
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

..lee.. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..lee.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 13 at 17:36
Cheers jase. Didn't know he sold them. I'll give him a ring in the week.
SebRogers View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SebRogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 13 at 08:31
No issues at all with driving a LWB T4, except perhaps taking a litte extra care on tight turns not to clip the kerb. But really, most of the time it's useful extra space with no practical downsides at all
'85 T3 Doka EJ22
'94 T4 Westy Cali Club ABT 2.4td
 Post Reply Post Reply