The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Detail Doctor - plastic restorer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigwam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 14 at 04:18
But how to get Detail Doctor off, once you've tried it and don't like it?   I found good old methylated spirits takes it off well.
Cheaper On The Net
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 14 at 15:18
Originally posted by sunny43.5 sunny43.5 wrote:

OKAY OKAY now I get it I had not looked back over the original posting to see the reference to the Glad Wrap DOH !! Must be the onset of summer here we have gone from mild to bloody hot in just a few days I HATE SUMMER you get frazzled easily when your brain is melting !!! Its the one thing I have never adjusted to in Australia ,  whilst I don't miss the cold grey days and snow on the ground slush everywhere and people walking around depressed because the weather is lousy , the blistering summer with relentless humidity can cause an old pom some discomfort . But hey this a great country if you go swimming in the southern ocean  waters  the White Pointers will eat you if you go swimming in the northern ocean the crocs will eat you then there are the killer jelly fish not to mention killer stone fish / spiders who can bite and snakes galore plus some  nasty stinging plants and the infamous "drop bears " What have the poms got to kill you ????

It seems an ever increasing number of radicalised Muslims is our threat , at least oz gave bad the balls to stop them fuckers
my bigest fear is that when I die the missus will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them
wigwam View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigwam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 15 at 04:49
Just had a second go at applying the plastic restorer called Detail Doctor.   The difference this time was noticeable.  It dried well and I like the result.  Previously, as I said here on this thread,  it remained "tacky" and tended to attract dust.   The dust did not stick, but was annoying.

The thing that was different this time, was that it is winter here in Brisbane - that means cold nights(10C) with sunny days(21C), and low humidity.    We often have sun in Brisbane, so that's not the reason for the better result.   We notice that everything dries well here in winter, like sheets dry in shade no problem.   It seems Detail Doctor dries better in low humid sunny conditions.

So, I'd say it's a good product if applied in low humidity conditions which allow it to dry.  About 2-3 hours.   And being oil based, I'd say it is a winner - you use very very little.

Detail Doctor does not completely restore the horizontal aspect of the rear bumper area, which has embedded almost white and faded grey colour,  but it does certainly improve it.   On the horizontal surfaces, it produced very good results.

It can be removed easily with metho', if you want.
Cheaper On The Net
zedzedeleven View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zedzedeleven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 15 at 10:30
I bought my way out of this problem, got a Highline with colour coded bumpers. Nice, just needs a waxing now and then.
1.9 85ps swb 2004 in friesan green.

bring me sunshine.
cornish pasty View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cornish pasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 15 at 20:39
Cherry blossom black boot polish. Liquid in a plastic bottle applicator. Black's up bumpers beautifully, lasts a long time, and only 98p in Morrison's. Foolish to use those expensive products. Ideal to use on interior trim also. Only thing it ain't good for is polishing shoes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjPhopki9sQ&sns=fb
wigwam View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigwam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 15 at 01:36
Yardie I'm happy to be foolish.  After all I own a VW t5.   To do the entire plastic area of my van with this Detail Doctor I estimate I used about 1.5 mls out of a 250 mls bottle.  So, about 150 shots in the bottle.  If I apply it thrice yearly, it might last 50 years.   My remaining life expectancy is 17 years, based on averages.  So I've asked for the leftover Detail Doctor to be applied to my coffin.
Cheaper On The Net
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 15 at 13:28
Originally posted by wigwam wigwam wrote:

Yardie I'm happy to be foolish.  After all I own a VW t5.   To do the entire plastic area of my van with this Detail Doctor I estimate I used about 1.5 mls out of a 250 mls bottle.  So, about 150 shots in the bottle.  If I apply it thrice yearly, it might last 50 years.   My remaining life expectancy is 17 years, based on averages.  So I've asked for the leftover Detail Doctor to be applied to my coffin.

Shocked  LOLLOLLOL Thumbs Up
sunny43.5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunny43.5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 15 at 14:46
I am still laughing about that one Wigwam in fact I laughed so much I started coffin you were dead right .
wigwam View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigwam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 18 at 04:57
Tried the heat gun to restore the badly faded plastic bumpers of my t5. 

I used the high setting, holding it about 2-3 cms from the surface.   As soon as I detected surface plastic looking wet, I interpreted that as the surface of the plastic melting.  (After all this bumper came into being in a molten state.)

So I immediately began moving slowly across the surface to create a temporary "melt" just where the gun is pointing.

This "method" worked  surprisingly well, and better than any of the other things I've tried so far.   I was concerned at what would happen when the gun heat came on to the paint work where the plastic bumper and painted metal meet,  but the metal under the paint seemed to draw the heat away and caused no damage to the paint.   I'm tempted to say problem solved.Smile
Cheaper On The Net
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12