The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lt35 front hub bearings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 16v205 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lt35 front hub bearings
    Posted: 30 Aug 13 at 12:42
Hi,

I had a go at downloading the manuals but I don't seem to be able to find a working link so I'm hoping someone may be able to point me in he right direction with a bearing swap please.

I've just picked up a 1987 lt35 2.4td horsebox and the front offside wheel bearing is kaput. It's thrown the grease out everywhere.

I've got a replacement bearing kit for it, comes with a inner+outer race, grease and a hub bolt. What I can't find though is any info about the removal of the originals? Are these pressed in or heated or will I get away with a large socket to knock them out the hub?

Any info would be great thank you

Rich

AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 13 at 14:07
Technical Manuals - Current Link is what you need.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

volition82 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 13 at 21:42
No heat needed.  I just knocked them out with a punch.  IIRC they don't make it easy with cut outs for a punch.  But if your careful it's easy enough.  The small race I put in with a socket.  The bigger race I used the old race to start it then an aluminium punch because I didn't have a socket big enough

What I do remember is some idiot had done it before and made a right mess of it.  Where the race sits was a complete mess.  Somebody had had a good go at it with a cold chisel.  ****wit  Angry

Anyway, it's not a hard job.  Found it easy enough.  The rear wheel bearings need heat and are a complete nightmare.  But that's another story.

Edited by volition82 - 30 Aug 13 at 21:51
1989 LT35 - 2.4 Lpg/Petrol - Converted To Camper
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 13 at 23:28
Not had to do the rear wheel bearings yet, but agree that the fronts are easy. Fairly standard RWD front wheel bearings TBH. If you grind a few thou from the outside of the old race you can use that as a drift - if you really want to go to town you can take the edge off the hardness (so it doesn't mark the new race) by heating it in the oven for an hour or so. Hotter the softer but anything over 150 decrees C will soften it somewhat.

Edited by mat_the_cat - 30 Aug 13 at 23:28
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
Canada LT28 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 13 at 03:05
Are they the same bearings as the lt28 and 31?
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Slow and built to stay that way
87 T3 soon to be a camper
Uberhare View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uberhare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 13 at 00:52
Yep

16v205 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 16v205 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 13 at 12:21
Hi, thank you for the replys. .

It was a easy enough job, I had tapped the old bearings out within a hour, only to find the new ones were too small. So it's currently immobilised until I find a replacement kit. The kit supplied from the factors was abk123 and the bearing races just fell inside the hub casting.

Also I found the links were working fine, I hadn't looked hard enough for the manuals.

Regards
Rich
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 13 at 12:52
Happens to us all mate unfortunately, if there are 2 options for a part I'll probably get the wrong one.
Done the hard bit though and there should be a part no on the old bits, or you can measure the old shells etc.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Andy
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

volition82 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 13 at 20:44
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-LT-28-35-281-363-Van-SKF-Front-Wheel-Bearing-Kit-Replacement-New-Genuine-/330876299924
The above link is for a skf  front wheel bearing kit at a cracking price of £25.05.  Skf if you didn't know is genuine equipment.  The bearing on your van will most likely have a reference number on it.  You could cross reference it against the above?
1989 LT35 - 2.4 Lpg/Petrol - Converted To Camper
 Post Reply Post Reply