The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > Syncro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

To diff-lock or not to diff-lock..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caspian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To diff-lock or not to diff-lock..
    Posted: 07 Aug 13 at 13:23
My '87 German-import Synchro project has no diff-lock knobs, which I understand means it is permanent 4wd. If I cross-axle can it still spin-out? IE I have no cross-axle diff-lock?
Cheers
Reco View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 13 at 14:35
erm...they're all permenant 4x4 - unless has decoupler as indicated by central knob
if no knobs has no diff locks
not sure what you mean by cross-axel but yes you can still spin out ie get stuck in '4x4 '. without locks its really only 2 wheel drive - one driven wheel on front axel and one on the back...
92 syncro rhd 2.1 pop-top
90 syncro rhd aaz pick up
Caspian View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caspian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 13 at 15:04
Yep, that's what I mean.. like my Landy.. thanks.. I guess if I want to add diff-locks it means different transfer boxes?
Thanks for the help; very much appreciated!
Cheers
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 13 at 15:16
Originally posted by Caspian Caspian wrote:

Yep, that's what I mean.. like my Landy.. thanks.. I guess if I want to add diff-locks it means different transfer boxes?

diff locks are inside either the front diff or rear gearbox..  can be retro fitted.  
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 13 at 17:40
Originally posted by Caspian Caspian wrote:

no no no nothing like a landy at all! your syncro has drive to front and back but as soon as you loose traction on one wheel that wheel will spin and loose all your power. the difflock you require is for your differentials on either front axle or back axle or better still both axles so you can engage PERMANENT 4wd and make all four wheels rotate at the same time weather they have grip or not. and no that isn't a wind-up that's another issue.......LOL
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 13 at 18:15
A syncro with no lockers is like a man with one leg...rear is more or less essential for wet weather off road use..even damp grass!

Fronts not as critical but still handy in the clag.
Caspian View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caspian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 13 at 20:22
thanks guys - looking into sourcing the parts now.. not easy.. I was under the impression the VC would always turn one of the front wheels. If I lift diagonal wheels on the Landy they spin out..for now... not the same on the Syncro then.. there is no drive to the front axle if the VC is slipping..? If I have a fully functioning VC and jack up one of the rear wheels with both front wheels chocked.. surely one of the front wheels has to have drive and will try to climb over the chock..?
Cheers
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 13 at 22:02
lift the rear completely, chocks under front wheels, engage gear...  functioning VC will try and drive front wheels.
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
Aidan View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aidan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 13 at 11:39
but if one wheel at the front losses grip too then you are going no where; the Naafiwagon was lockerless and actually stunningly capable without lockers in 90% of situations
Aidan Talbot, gearboxes for watercooled engines, 4, 5 speed and syncro front and rear rebuilt. 01691 648011, 07817 377938....www.aidantalbot.co.uk
Caspian View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caspian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 13 at 11:44
Thanks Aidan, I have just emailed you back.. yeah I figure it is a lot about tyres.. like my Landy.. never gets stuck.. just go faster! Got a shiny new set of Contintental CrossContact AT's to go on.. should be good in snow this winter!
Cheers
Caspian View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caspian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 13 at 11:47
what's a Naafiwagon? Is that what I have got?
Cheers
 Post Reply Post Reply