The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rear Brake Pressure Regulator/Booster

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quazzmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 17 at 09:32
Originally posted by LTCamper89 LTCamper89 wrote:

Steves' last post is two years old.

There is a chap in Germany who can rebuild them for about 150euros or you can do it yourself.

Thanks LTCamper89 :-)

(LT35 Brake Pressure Regulator Valve leaking)

Yes I have a habit of searching old forum posts rather than waiting for replies!

After a few more forum searches, have sent it to PastParts.co.uk for refurb in Bury St Edmunds UK, £80 +VAT, with 5-10 day turnaround. They've done a few of these for LTs in recent months. They refurb brake & clutch parts (particularly cylinders like this thing), they're also making me front flexi hoses as my mechanic had trouble sourcing those for MOT too.

Thanks for your help!
1984 Autotrail Cherokee LT35 petrol 2.4
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 17 at 12:03
You need a new mechanic if he cannot find flexi pipes.Cry

Part numbers from here, doddle.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
Hugh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 17 at 22:46
anyone tried to fit a rear load valve from another van, im in the same situation as many others and they are indeed like rocking horse poo. 

Edited by Hugh - 22 Jun 17 at 22:46
If in doubt ,pin it !!
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 17 at 12:34
Originally posted by volition82 volition82 wrote:

I've been spending!  I have worked on cars and bikes for just over 25 years but never made a brake pipe.  So I had to buy a flaring tool and pipe bender.  Managed to pick up a NOS pressure regulator for the bargain price of £35.  The part number is 1H0612151C.  It's fitted to a number of different VW's and Seat's.  I didn't know until after I bought this one that some are pressure sensitive and others are load sensitive.  Luckily I bought a load sensitive one.

My plan is to measure the position of the regulator arm from a fixed position on the chassis.  Then cut the pipes to release the pressure and measure the travel of the regulator arm from the same point.  I can then work out how far in the travel the regulator is.  For example if the measurement I get is 175mm when connected and the travel measurements are from 100mm to 200mm.  I will then know that the regulator is set at 75%.

I'll put the new regulator as near as possible to the original's position and also take measurements of the regulator arm at maximum and minimum.  Then connect it up and bleed it.  After that I will set the spring up so that the arm is in the same percentage of travel position as the original.  If the new regulator has more travel (which I suspect it does) I'll increase the percentage slightly so that it is fully open at approximately the same time as the original.

My main concern is the spring rate.  The regulator's are obviously designed to work with a certain size spring.  From looking on Vagcat the size of the spring on the car is a lot smaller than the one on LT's. 

I found a thread about lowered Golf's which have regulator's.  When the Golf's are lowered they have to adjust the regulator.  Otherwise the back braking force is too great and the back of the car can swing out under braking on corners etc.  They have altered the regulator by stretching the spring in a jack.  I could try this method if the spring rate is too great.  I don't fancy having to try and fit a smaller spring because the one on the van is quite an odd looking size.  I don't think finding replacement's will be easy.

What does everybody think?  Do you think my reasoning is sound or have I missed something blindingly obvious?

You will need to do what Volition82 has already done. His solution worked perfectly.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Hugh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 17 at 14:26
thanks for this, it all sounds very technical.ive been looking at a similar soloution using a regulator off a L200 pickup as it looks quite close to the lt althought the mounting points are on the opposite side but i can deal with that. i do wonder just how vital the spring rate is on these old vans giving that 90% of them probably havent worked for years.
be interested to know what regulator he used. 

If in doubt ,pin it !!
Hugh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 17 at 14:55
sorry ,me being a plank, just seen the regulator he used. ta
If in doubt ,pin it !!
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 17 at 21:00
There is one valve, two levers and ten springs which cover all models from 1975 to 1997. Although they were colour-coded, I doubt you will be able to see what you have.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Olliewood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olliewood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 18 at 18:58
Hope you pick this up from such an old post.

But can I have the details of the chap in Germany that refurbishes the brake regulators?

Thanks
Ollie
Hugh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 18 at 21:57
hi ollie. i didnt use him in the end, i sent mine off to a company called past parts who did an amazing job but were unable to get it to me before my trip so i bit the bullet and bought the unimog valve which is identical apart from the spring which is much heavier duty, we switched it with the existing one and its been fine.
the plus side to this is i have a fully recondidtioned valve up for grabs, it even had a new internal piston machined as the original one was knackered.
try them, if not this is available for £250.00 (unimog one was £390 i think)
hope this helps.
cheers hugh
If in doubt ,pin it !!
Olliewood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olliewood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 18 at 22:44
Thanks for the reply Hugh

I’ll get on to past parts and get it reconditioned.

Thanks for your help

Ollie
outtatime View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outtatime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 18 at 17:11
Just for info it is possible to determine the spring rate given the following;

Diameter of the wire used

Overall diameter of the spring

Number of active coils (coils that don't touch)

Constant for the spring material (Usually the same)

There is an online calculator thingy that will do it for you. (i'l try to find it and add a link later)

Hope this may help someone who has a regulator of unknown load

It is also possible to increase the rate of a spring by cutting coils out and making up the gap with a spacer if you're really desperate!

Hope this may be of use to someone.

Cheers

Glenn
LT28 2.4TD (DV) Camper 'Morgan'(H998 RUM)
LT40 2.4TD (DV) Camper D562 RCY
Discovery 200 TDI
Discovery 300 TDIx3 (Tetley,Lileth & ????)
Skoda Felicia
BMW F650 GS
KTM 200 EXC
Honda Trail 90 (CT90)
Olliewood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olliewood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 18 at 19:24
Hi Hugh

Past parts were unable to fix the compensation valve.

Do you still have yours for sale?

Thanks
Ollie
tellytubby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tellytubby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 18 at 21:01
Its always worth a search for the Wabco part number  -  4684020020

They sometimes turn up.
Dreamcatcher View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreamcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 18 at 17:20
This may be a bit late, but Arek had a few compensators re-manufactured a while back. Worth a shout.
Dave 1991 LT31 Camper
Monster LT View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster LT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 20 at 17:09
If anyone is interested I will have new unused Unimog regulators for sale at around 250 each + P&P. You will need to use your original spring and remove the lever from the old regulator and fit it onto the new one. Also you will need to change the brake pipe lines to the regulator or use an adaptor. The LT uses a bubble flare with M10 nut whereas the new reg for Unimog uses a double inverted flare with M12 nut. A bubble flare is only meant to be used once and wlll not reliably seal if used agan so an adapter may not give adequate sealing so it's prbably better to change out the lines and nuts instead. PM me for contact details.

Edited by Monster LT - 03 Jan 20 at 18:13
LT45-TD-ACL-intercooler-4x4-1993
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678