The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Wheel help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

19" BMW rims

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 19" BMW rims
    Posted: 06 May 13 at 13:41
First post on this forum, hi Beer

So I have been hunting for a T3 crewie for a couple of months and not found anything within my meager budget so I have decided I will have to let my Bora go to pastures new.  I need a crewie for some work use and for pleasure so the time is right to get myself one finally and sell

Ideally I want to keep the rims for the crewie when I find one, they are running on adaptors and the tyres were stretched way too much imho to get them on the Bora originally.

My thoughts would be to swap the tyres for something safer and bolt them on to the crewie, they should cope with any weight as they weigh the same as a planet an are more used to a 4x4 sitting on them

My first guess is they should fit with some work? any advice to the contrary?

It will be easier to sell the Bora with the BMW rims on, but if they would be suitable for a crewie then I will sell the car with stock rims on and keep them
booted View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 13 at 16:59
What size are they and what offset

Edited by booted - 06 May 13 at 16:59
scoody View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 13 at 22:20
Might be a bit tight, I have some BMW E46 17" Oz Racing rims (et40) on my T3 camper on 15mm adaptors and they seem fine, just clear the front wishbones and rear door. I would give it a go makes a change from Audi TT rims  
T3ADICT View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3ADICT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 13 at 02:52

depends on your widths and et´s

8j is really about your limit  on the front of a t3.
 i have used 8.5x 18 et 20  (geniune RS4 rims) on a t3  but 8.5 is pushing it a bit.

with an 8x18 et 30 rim just clears the front suspension on a t3  (normal problem is inner rim to top ball joint clearence)

with a 19" rim you just clear the top of the suspension. so there is i little more room to play
 but i would not want to go wider than 8.5 on the front as you will end up with full lock tyre rub.

you will need to be carefull what tyres you run as 19" tyres dont tend to come in T3 suitable load ratings  93 is about the highest load rating i can find in 19"

WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough
B360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 13 at 09:29
Cheers for that

I've got to try and work the offset out, I originally bought them from a guy who had them on a TT and said they would fit a MK4 golf, they went onto the Bora dead easy and once lowered still dont rub or cause issue.

I do know the rears are wider than the fronts and the adaptors act as spacers, gotta dig back through my old emails and see if i can find the sale
booted View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 13 at 12:15
Probably quicker to get a tape measure out

Biggest problem will be tyres with suitable load rating

Edited by booted - 07 May 13 at 12:17
B360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 13 at 12:38
Originally posted by booted booted wrote:

Biggest problem will be tyres with suitable load rating

Is this because i would need low profiles? These rims are usually tucked under a BMW X5

I've owned all manner of dubs but only one wedge (a panel van a few years ago) and didnt modify it at all

When i finally get my crew the goal is to get it sitting on some nice rims, i do have a set of 17" porsche turbo twists but was planning on selling those as its these 19's i would really want under the arches

I dont think the current tyres would be suitable, waaaaay to much stretch on them and they would peel off i reckon at the first corner with the weight of a T3 on top

/\ /\ /\ That was before the car was lowered 
booted View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 13 at 12:52
Pic not working
Its the correct load rating that is gping to be tricky you really need at least 97
chris7ian View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris7ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 13 at 14:52

Once you have the wheel off to measure the offset it'd be quicker to just read the ET number stamped on the back Wink

BMW X5 offset will be between 30 and 50, probably at the higher end with wheels that wide
B360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 13 at 15:03
Seems the best option then, she's off for her fresh MOT next week hopefully so i'll get the suspension wound back up, the original rims put back on and then look for numbers on the X5 rims and report back.

does the T3 have the same stud pattern as a MK4 golf/Bora?

Edited by B360 - 07 May 13 at 15:05
B360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 13 at 15:05
Originally posted by chris7ian chris7ian wrote:

Once you have the wheel off to measure the offset it'd be quicker to just read the ET number stamped on the back Wink

BMW X5 offset will be between 30 and 50, probably at the higher end with wheels that wide

Are you a guy called christian that once had a blue bug that went sideways into a wall at VW Action many many moons ago? Smile
booted View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 13 at 15:30
T3 is 5x112
Bora is 5x100
chris7ian View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris7ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 13 at 15:42
Originally posted by B360 B360 wrote:

Originally posted by chris7ian chris7ian wrote:

Are you a guy called christian that once had a blue bug that went sideways into a wall at VW Action many many moons ago? Smile

yes yes...

How'd you remember that? All I remember is crying EmbarrassedLOL
B360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 13 at 15:53
/\ /\ /\ /\ thats the bug...did it survive?

I spent that weekend camped with you and your buddies, you might not remember me but possibly my ride at the time....

which is incidentally why i have a set of porsche rims if the BMW ones wont play ball
chris7ian View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris7ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 13 at 16:07
Jimbo! - Of course I remember you - we've met way more than the once!!Wacko
It was reparied (broken axle, wing, bumper), then it was rebuilt later in the year (by the same guys that did Mark's orange bug), featured in Ultra, displayed in the main hall at Sandown, stopped for speeding twice by the same PO in the same spot (involving a chase!!) and I still have it; although after a decade it has it's bad points but I still love it LOL

Shame about yours though Cry However, I'll always remember that bird that shat on the INSIDE of your rear popouts whilst in the show'n'shine LOL

Funnily enough, I kinda remember your T3 panel van - you were looking to fit Clearvision headlights at the time

Edited by chris7ian - 07 May 13 at 16:23
B360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 13 at 16:14
heh heh Big smile small world, thought it was you.... i used to do sooo many shows and wasnt always, erm... alert shall we say...so we could have met alot for all i remember haha, did you have a blue bay as well?

..all growd up now though, i ride watercooled these days but the urge for a crewie is strong and is next on the shopping list as i need a work horse (with impractical wheels Wacko)
chris7ian View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris7ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 13 at 16:19
Yeah I had a twin slider Bay with Subaru motor - that went after 8 years in favour of my Bluestar... hmm I spot a theme...
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 13 at 17:42
I remember seeing that blue bug on porker wheels at the Cornwall jamboree, it was lovely!
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

B360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 13 at 18:48
Originally posted by jason k jason k wrote:

I remember seeing that blue bug on porker wheels at the Cornwall jamboree, it was lovely!

Smile That would have been quite a few years ago
 Post Reply Post Reply