The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Wheel help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adapter question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richbvw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adapter question
    Posted: 14 Apr 13 at 12:09
Hi all, I realise it's been asked before and I have searched the forum and read some conflicting info, so im going to have to ask again.

I have some Porsche turbo alloys sat in the garage which are 7x17 ET 55 and 9x17 ET 55. (were gong on my golf show car for this season but can't bring myself to fit stretched tyres now I have 2 little kids)

I'm looking at 20mm adapters but wonder if a final ET of 35 will give me inner clearance issues on both front and rear, its blue on the info guide. I'll be looking to run 215 and 255 tyres front/ rear and it will be lowered -70 AVO as the "-60 red springs" i bought a couple of years ago now feel like I'm riding without tyres!

Any help or info appreciated.

Rich
Check out my band - www.myownagenda.co.uk
new tracks and vids online now
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 13 at 12:22
The only possible issue with nine inch wide rears and 255 is You may struggle with the sliding door passing the rear wheel so you may need to do the hinge mod.
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

T3ADICT View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3ADICT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 13 at 16:25
 i used 275 40 18 tyres on  9.5 x18  et 28  wheels and the doors (twin slider just rubbed both sides.)
 255 on a 9 inch wheel with et 35 should clear.  but with will depend on what profile 255 tyre.

front wise you may get away with an effective et 35 ,  i have used 7x17 et 30 without problems a few times.
WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough
booted View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 13 at 18:32
My 9 inch rears with 245/40x18 tyres have an effective et of 32 the rear door just clears
richbvw View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richbvw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 13 at 01:08
Thanks for the replies.
I was looking at either 255/40 or 245/45 for the rears. Would I be better getting 25mm adapters for the front to give an effective ET30?
I take it that ET 35 for 9" rears shouldnt lead to any suspension contact.
Allanw View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
SYCOPHANTIC TRAINEE WELSHMAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allanw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 13 at 03:52
Originally posted by richbvw richbvw wrote:

Thanks for the replies.
Would I be better getting 25mm adapters for the front to give an effective ET30?

From Memory, the "correct" offset for 7" rim on the front is 30mm, based on the offset of the factory alloys. Id you are too low though, you're more liekly to rub. Stay a bit skinny with tyres.
Allan :-)

'84 T3 Kombi, EJ25 DOHC, apprentice Viking...

Duct Tape can't fix stupid, but it can MUFFLE the sound.
richbvw View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richbvw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 13 at 00:22
Thanks for all the info.
Jas1977 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jas1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 16 at 09:21
Hi,

I know this is reviving a very old post and the original poster has probably left by now so please feel free to delete if this is against any forum wheels.

I'm wondering how the original poster got on with this in the end or anyone else with the same size wheels and a minus 70mm avo drop?  What issues where had, what adaptors were used etc.

Again if this is too old please remove but its a very similar if not identical situation that I have.

Many thanks in advance.
booted View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 16 at 13:44
as  Jason says above you may stuggle with 255 tyres clearing the sliding door  on the rear, i had et35 9inch rears with 245 tyres and it just cleared but there will be slight differences between vans mine is on 55mm springs  which will affect it as well , you can modify the sliding door hing to clear,
on the front you might be better off using 25mm adaptors to give an effective offset of 30. et35 will be very close to the top arm at the front
Jas1977 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jas1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 16 at 11:19
Originally posted by booted booted wrote:

as  Jason says above you may stuggle with 255 tyres clearing the sliding door  on the rear, i had et35 9inch rears with 245 tyres and it just cleared but there will be slight differences between vans mine is on 55mm springs  which will affect it as well , you can modify the sliding door hing to clear,
on the front you might be better off using 25mm adaptors to give an effective offset of 30. et35 will be very close to the top arm at the front

Sorry had read your reply but not had the opportunity to thank you.

Just an update on this.  Fitted some brickwerks 25mm adaptors yesterday (i must say very good quality!). Only got one pair at the moment but tried them on front and rear.  Give more clearance on the front and rear suspension then the 20mm which cleared but only just.  Sliding door still opens with the 25mm but does catch the spokes on the porsche twists (ET55, 9inch, 255 tyres on rear). Might stick with the 20mm ones on the rear and 25mm on the front.

Still standard hight at the moment - next up will be getting the -70mm avo springs on and the new shortened shocks.

Post Reply Post Reply