The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Replacing fuel pump on my 1980 LT28

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Steph* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacing fuel pump on my 1980 LT28
    Posted: 24 Mar 13 at 21:38
Hi everyone, haven't used the forum before so apologies if I get something wrong! I have a much beloved 1980 LT28 affectonately called 'The Soup Dragon'. She has been good to us for many years & still looking hot after re spray 4 years ago. but it's been a long cold winter and our first major trip it of the ear resulted in being brought home on the back of an RAC low loader apparently needs a new fuel pump but my other half can't work out 1. Whether the fuel tank can be accessed without having to put her up on a ramp or 2. How to remove the damned thing to allow for replacement. Any ideas? Oh, and suggestions where we might find one also very gratefully received!! Thanks in advance. Steph
Ps can't work out how to add a photo!!
Steph

'The Soup Dragon' LT28 1980 High Top undergoing complete respray (way too exp-ensive but she's worth it)
t'onion View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t'onion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 13 at 08:23
what engine does it have 

LT28 Westfalia FloRida, 2.4 diesel

miserable fooker

volition82 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 13 at 10:15
If it's a petrol your pump is in the petrol tank.  You can replace it or an easier option which a few of us have done is an aftermarket one outside of tank.  It just draws it throught the old pump. 

Bit more info here

Edited by volition82 - 25 Mar 13 at 10:19
1989 LT35 - 2.4 Lpg/Petrol - Converted To Camper
Dreamcatcher View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreamcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 13 at 13:20

Hi Steph and welcome.

On petrol models up to chassis No 286 2506 977 the fuel pump was externally mounted on the side chassis member.

From chassis no 286 2506 978 the fuel pump is combined with the fuel level sender unit in the tank.

After draining and pulling out the filler tube from the tank, the tank is easy to lower. This is best done with the van on ramps or stands. Support the tank with a jack so that you can lower it gently and detach the electrical feed and the flow and return pipes. mark one so you know which one it is.

Once out you can put a flat bar across the slots and twist the plate to release and withdraw the unit.

You can of course install an external pump on the flow line as others have done and draw the fuel through the original pump, this is possibly the cheaper option as the in tank pumps are a lot more  expensive than the external ones.

If you go for this option, you should be aware that the original pump is suspended in the tank by a short piece of rubber hose, if this is perished/split the pump can become detached or draw in air through the side and wont be able to suck up from below the split/break.

I once had the pipe come off, the pump still ran but was only circulating the petrol in the tank. 

Good luck Thumbs Up

Dave 1991 LT31 Camper
ScruffyTeg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScruffyTeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 13 at 23:41
Hello,  I'm another newbie here, but thought I'd register and post as tonight I've been trying to save my in-tank petrol pump from going to the scrap bin.

My issue is hat both the short pipe stubs exiting the pump assembly have corroded through. So if the LT28 in-tank pump is of similar construction then it might be prudent to check the condition before opting for the external approach? Just a thought...

Edited by ScruffyTeg - 03 Apr 13 at 23:43
--Rich (LT35 Petrol/LPG MkII)
 Post Reply Post Reply