The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Brickie's Arms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

buying a house with a back boiler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lloydy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 13 at 12:53
Totally agree, boilers are getting less and less reliable. Customers are now the field trials, the warranty engineer is kept in the dark just as much as the installer about faults. Going boiler to boiler that can't be fixed other than a temporary band aid. Soul destroying sometimes. I've been looking at going on my own, but there is so many hoops they want you to jump through for no real Benefit other than making them money.
16" syncro multivan
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 13 at 20:57
We are fortunate over here, we have Ninga where we all get together and meet up and discuss the truth.

Manfacturers try to flog us stuff but don't appericate when you let out loud about there crap reliability.

We can pool knowledge and spot the real lemons!

Have a read in the installer review about the transporter, they didn't want to publish owners experiences ut it's there now for VW to read along with possible new owners to consider before parting with cash!
T3ADICT View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3ADICT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 13 at 00:11

update..

the upstairs system heating circuit is now in 22mm. we have added a extra capped section on the other end from the current boiler so that a new boiler in the future can be linked in.

when we have the money for a new boiler it will be placed in the kitchen.
will be like this
22mm flow & return pipes will go up through the floor into the room above, 2 meters to the first rad in the bedroom upstairs from the kitchen. about a meter after we have a pairt of  22mm ´T´s  that will split between downstairs circuit and the upstairs.

the downstairs curcuit will be next..

we are going to leave the current boiler in until i have the money but want to make fitting a new one as simple as possible.  

the pipes for hot & cold water for the bathroom cross the upstairs hall in a way make them easy to divert in the future. so those we have left for the moment.

im totaly new to this hole soldering pipes thing so my dad is teaching me, so everything takes longer...... But i think its worth learning.

a guy i work with said why didnt i do it all in push fit pipe.. 
   i dont know alot about plumbing, but from what i can see of the 25- 30 year old system thats in the house (3/4 inch pipe rather than 22... that was fun)   soldering the joints well seems to last.

im not sure if i like the idea of push fit stuff under the floor..
so sticking to soldered joints.

WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough
White Van man View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Van man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 13 at 18:41
I had a back boiler in my house when i moved in.Potterton boiler to be precise,lasted about 5 years til i changed it.
The liner was cracked mind you so it hissed when you first put the heating on and the gas fire was knackered but it lasted til i got the money to get it changed.
I had it all ripped out and replaced with a Baxi Combi Instant HE .Saturday job as they say by a mate and his apprentice (done properly and registered before you say anything)
Lasted well til it started loosing pressure.Rang Baxi for advise,join our insurance scheme for £25 per month and we will come out and fix it (bit like joining the AA at a show cos your bus is broken).Turned out diaphragm was shagged,crap job its at the back and i has a shelf about a foot above it,ooh and its in a cupboard too lol.
Anyway all done fixed lasted a week the boiled packed up totally... this time motherboard had water damage ,apparently related to previous issue engineer said ?
Never mind ,good service by them and this year they only wanted £18 per month insurance too.
Grimsby ,the no1 VW Metropolis town of England
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 13 at 09:02
Now everyone take note, buy a Baxi and get shagged.

We have a saying over here,"Better Buggered by Baxi!"

Should have bought a real boiler, not a booby trap spares sales device, designed to fail to then sell you over priced spares or insurance scheme.

You can get the same cover for about £14.00.
T3ADICT View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3ADICT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 13 at 21:09

so the baxi is going...
we have a good chunk of money towards a new system.
not going for a combi, sticking with a tank but relocating the tank as well as the boiler..

we would like to have a solar system in the future so are planning on having a twin coil tank, god know what make boiler to go for..
seems so much infomation on the internet, it makes it harder to know what to get rather than easier.

WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough
AdrianC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 13 at 21:13
Originally posted by T3ADICT T3ADICT wrote:

god know what make boiler to go for..

Our old house had a Worcester - and it was damn near faultless. Our new place has a Worcester, but we've barely used it yet (solar HW through the summer...)

My usual rule of thumb is that if there's a Bosch (Worcester is Bosch's boiler brand) in the market, and it's not outside budget, go for that. Aside from usually being top-notch quality, very few people are aware that the Bosch corporate is owned almost entirely by a humanitarian charity, with damn near all the profits going to medical, educational, development work worldwide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Bosch_Stiftung
Adrian & Ellie
Zookeeper of a miscellany of motoring silliness, from 0.75bhp to 9ft tall.
Living life on the road in an '88 2.1 Club Joker Hightop.
http://WhereverTheRoadGoes.com
Canada LT28 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 13 at 22:29
I said it before and I'll say it again....Viessmann Combi. You won't be disappointed.
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Slow and built to stay that way
87 T3 soon to be a camper
lloydy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lloydy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 13 at 07:32
If your keeping the header tank I would normally fit a Worcester RI. If your changing to a sealed system you can either fit the same boiler or fit a Worcester system boiler that has the pump built in. The boiler mentioned above is meant to be ok too, just don't see many of them down this way
16" syncro multivan
Bertie blue bus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bertie blue bus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 13 at 19:22
very interesting post..

I have a Baxi BB circa mid 70's by the lookm of the gas fire in front of it ! hasnt been serviced for 5 years that I have been here so guessing I should at least vacuum out the dust and crap from behind the front panel.

I had a call from BGas the other week asking if I wanted to take out their boiler cover plan... whan I asked if my 4o year old boiler would be covered he coughed and said he wasnt sure... but If I took out the cover and they couldnt get the parts then they would probably refund my payments, I declined their offer.

I would love to rip it out and put a lovely wood burner in its place, then stick the boiler in the loft out of site, but money too tight at the mo. I did look into the green deal but came to the same conclusion that it was a bad deal for me !!

1985 T3 Holdsworth 1.9DG.

1989 2.1 MV Westfalia Hitop

Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 13 at 23:23
The Green What!LOL

We call it the Green Elephant in the room.

Every day we get BS in by email how many are being done, how good it is for the trade! Total twot!!!!

Its the next PPI gravy train for the legal sharks, get a guess done on what the house uses and how it could be improved and you have to pay. Based on that they offer you some crap that the warranty doesn't last as long as the loan which is at 8% secured against your house if your mortgage company agrees!

Like Ferroli and other names above it shits it self three years in and needs a small mortgage to repair it and you are still left paying hoping it is saving you something.

This will be another legal field day for the solicitors, buy shares in the ambulance chasers now, it's the next PPI! 
Jojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 19 at 13:47
Hello,

I believe even repairing an old gas back-boiler, never mind replacing it with like for like, is illegal now. I think the only legal gas back-boiler now is A-rated and made by BAXI. In that case, you might be able to do a straight swap.
Charlie Dog View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 19 at 19:53
Pottertons told me recently,
in writing, 
that it's OK
to install a gas boiler
on an outside wall.

Provided the boiler
has a weatherproof housing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123