The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel Leak

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valentine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel Leak
    Posted: 15 Jan 13 at 18:39
Ive got a diesel leak where the filler pipe goes into the tank,
There is some sort of seal that has perished...
The part is now obsolete according to VW Dealer.
Can anyone suggest an alternative supplier please?
It has been bodged with sealant but that only lasted a couple of days.

Thanks 

woodyrich1965 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyrich1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 13 at 21:20
try a truck parts place  as could sell by the meter then you just cut to fit
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 13 at 21:46
IIRC you can get special sealants that stand up to fuel  (I have a vague recollection of some horrible red goop for a motorcycle tank 30 odd years ago).  Might have to search a bit to find it.
Valentine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valentine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 13 at 10:55
Thanks for the suggestions gents, I'm looking to replace the O ring... and dont want to bodge it on a permanent basis.
volition82 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 13 at 11:49
If you have got a good dealer you can ask them the last couple of places which ordered one.  You then take a long shot and ring them up to see if they still have it on the shelf.

You need a good dealer who's prepared to put themselves out a bit though.  IIRC mat_the_cat has had some success this way.  Or you could try Brickwerks, they have just got me an accelerator cable which wasn't available anywhere else.
1989 LT35 - 2.4 Lpg/Petrol - Converted To Camper
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 13 at 12:51
Originally posted by volition82 volition82 wrote:

IIRC mat_the_cat has had some success this way.

In my experience it doesn't matter what order you phone them up in, it's always the last one you ring LOL Last time I had a list of 10 or 11, so after the first 2 didn't have them in any more, I went straight to the bottom of the list. Turns out number 3 had it in stock...

I'm not familiar with what you mean, but it may well be, or could be substituted by a standard off the shelf O ring. This bunch may be of use to you.

Edited by mat_the_cat - 18 Jan 13 at 12:52
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
Dreamcatcher View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreamcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 13 at 14:08
The item your looking for is in fact a large grommet.
If all else fails, you could get a strip of the rubber profile that they supply for straight edging and make a circular grommet by super glueing the ends together.

The origional part no is 281201139.
They still make after market tanks, so it may be worthwhile contacting a supplier to see if they know where you can get a tank grommet

Dave 1991 LT31 Camper
Valentine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valentine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 13 at 13:25
Great info ...  Thank You All.
Should be able to sort it now Big smile
Gallivanting_Life View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gallivanting_Life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 18 at 12:24
@Valentine - what was your solution? I have the same problem, and have been searching for this part online - no luck yet! (Just joined Brick Yard - Ive just begun the long road of rebuilding a '77 LT31) The very first part I am looking for has taken hours of time :/ Hoping this doesn't set the precedent! 
Gallivanting the world - South Africa 1990 T3 Tin-top. Sweden 1977 LT31.
 Post Reply Post Reply