The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rustoleum - Pro's Cons Experience etc

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bibblybobs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 13 at 09:19
Hi Rollered mine about 5 years ago. I then sprayed it in the same finish as I could see the roller lines in sunlight. I've got to be honest, I wouldn't use it again as it fades badly. One side of my van which is always in the sun is much lighter than the other side. Also, if you open the doors you can see the colur fade where the original paint has not been in the sun. Its very faded.
1984 LT31 2.4 petrol Camper
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 13 at 11:25
Can I ask what colour, cos everyone knows red and dark blues fade over time.
When I get round to mine, might use a UV clear coat on top if this is the case.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 13 at 23:22
A couple more pictures to maybe spur others on with the job!

I've done the whole lower half of the van, and still impressed by the coverage - it looks as though I could get away with just one coat. I did prime most of the bare metal areas, so I suppose that helped.
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 13 at 06:24
That looks really nice Mat.Thumbs Up

A bit of sunshine would probably help it along too.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
bibblybobs View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bibblybobs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 13 at 09:12
Hi Andy

Yes a UV clearcoat would be a good idea if you are thinking of a strong colour. Mine is lilac, it was a dark lilac but it is pink in certain places now. It has been about 4 years but I will be fully sanding back, treating the latest rust and spraying with auto paint next year. (hopefully).
1984 LT31 2.4 petrol Camper
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 13 at 16:45
Originally posted by LTCamper89 LTCamper89 wrote:

A bit of sunshine would probably help it along too.

Being in Wales, I live in hope! I let the paint harden for a week or so before refitting things, and it's almost back together now. It's in danger of looking semi respectable!

Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
volition82 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 13 at 09:45
I'd be interested in how you get on with the uv clear coat.  I tried a matt clear coat on mine but it went on and dried patchy.  It couldn't be rollered it needed to be sprayed.

Also on a side note my colour has faded quite badly as well.  It is black so it's about the worst colour for it.  It's now more of a dark greyish colour.

Mat - The vans looking good.  Wouldn't have been a colour which springs to mind but it looks good on the van.
1989 LT35 - 2.4 Lpg/Petrol - Converted To Camper
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12