The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > Syncro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

front diff oil seal - nut torq?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: front diff oil seal - nut torq?
    Posted: 02 Jul 12 at 21:34
Hi all - I'm trying to change weeping oil seal to rear of front diff without bolloxing anything.
Does any one know torque setting for the nut holding on the cover /cone thingy to get at it ?

Or maybe mark position of nut and count number of turns to get it off / put back same would be ok?

Confused

Info / opinions much appretiated, cheers.

92 syncro rhd 2.1 pop-top
90 syncro rhd aaz pick up
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 12 at 20:13
Or maybe mark position of nut and count number of turns to get it off / put back same would be ok?

do that...thats the proper vw procedure, 2 center pop marks next to each other and count the turns as you said.

the diff seals are suposed to leak or "weep" a bit by the way
Reco View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 12 at 20:51
Thanks for that Thumbs Up
-reassuring to hear its a 'proper vw proceedure' - I was thinking was a bit of a bodge an new seal may be crushed (........I haven't tried to tighten it so hopefully is still in correct position........)

Only a slight weep but has over the years sprayed oil onto underside as rotates- wipe it off and underseal comes off with it! Have lived with it for 4-5 years with regular checks to level (odd it rarely needs topping up - a little goes a long way!)
Recent MOT advisory so thought sort it.

cheers, again
dave friday View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 12 at 09:34
Bentley says...160nm[118ft lb]so not ever so tight!!
1992 1.6td syncro
Reco View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 12 at 21:03
Thanks dave friday! Thumbs Up
max and caddy came up with the same on 80-90!

maybe time I should got a bently manual.....

Edited by Reco - 05 Jul 12 at 21:05
Reco View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 12 at 18:16
Rain finally stopped long enough to get this done!
Drifted new seal on using 46mm socket for rear wheel shaft nut- perfect fit!
Thanks for help Big smile
DokaDave View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DokaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 14 at 16:46
Hi Reco
I am looking at the same issues with the front Diff Lock Oil Seals on the actuator.
Is it as straight forward as the write ups suggest? Did you encounter any problems. Also one last question does it have an o ring each side because mine is leaking from both sides and while doing one I will do the other.
Thanks

Dave
 Post Reply Post Reply