The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to remove Door Lock and Assembly Carrier

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Rebuild View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to remove Door Lock and Assembly Carrier
    Posted: 19 Jun 12 at 03:11

following on from T5TDI's post for removing the door trim
http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/how-to-remove-door-card-trim-pics_topic31752.html

Had to attack this job recently due to a stuck door lock and noisy central locking on the passenger door.
Also had to remove the Assembly Carrier(the silver panel that the window motor,speaker sits on) then the Door Lock motor/mechanism

Removing the Door Trim

- remove 3x torx 25 screws at the bottom of the trim

- remove 1x torx 25 screw approx in centre of trim(under the upper sidetray)

followed T5TDI's directions however, as near as i remember,
- did not find it necessary to remove window switch, just disconnected the electrical connector once the trim was clear.
- did not remove the inner door handle, just removed door handle cable once trim was clear

- pulling the trim off in the region of those clips requires quite a bit of force,almost felt like something would break.

Note:The door steel is quite soft near the clips if you are using a lever and will dent easily.Use padding or a block of wood to spread the load.

There are six clips.Some may get hung up on the trim,most stay on the door.
Clip positions shown below.There are 3 at front, 3 at rear of trim.

Trim then needs to lift up and out of the window channel as it is removed
I found it easier to reset the clips by driving a double wedge(eg long-nose pliers) sharply between the mountings.

Removing the Assembly Carrier
- remove all rubber bungs(2x electrical,2x access)
- drop the window until the clamp bolts are visible through the access holes.Loosen the clamp bolts
- raise the window by hand and support with tape to the window frame.
- remove all electrical plugs x3, plus the speaker cable
- push the inner handle cable gaiter through its access hole
- push the door locking rod gaiter through the panel
- have a small table or crate handy just below the door
The door lock is mounted to the Assembly Carrier by a flexible plastic tab secured with two pop rivets.I think you should be able to remove the lock and carrier together, however I chose to do them separately.This involves drilling out the rivets and removing an electrical plug on the door lock.Note:The electrical plug is not easy to release where it is.Here's how it releases

Back of Assembly Carrier

Removing the Door Lock and Carrier Assembly as one
- remove the rubber bung near the outer handle, in the side of the door.Release the torx screw ONLY until the rearward end piece of the outer handle releases.Do not unscrew completely.Remove the rearward piece.
- disconnect the cable clip now visible on the end of the outer handle
- Undo the two multihead screws in the side of the door holding the lock mech.
- undo all 8 carrier bolts
- remove assembly carrier out from the bottom and downwards and rest it on your crate.
- squeeze cable clips x3  behind the carrier panel and release them.This will allow the electrical cable to move so you have easier access.
- You can now remove the electric cable from the door lock.See pic above
- pull all cables through their openings making a note of cable routing behing the panel.
- The carrier should now be free.

The door lock motor and mechanicals

I considered taking the door lock assembly apart for all of a minute,but it does look complicated.
Ended up just unscrewing the plastic cover slightly in a few places and a quick spray of lube.

Reinstallation notes
- if you have removed the locking rod,put it back on before reinstalling motor and carrier
- drop the window by hand into the clamps.DO NOT use the electrics to drive the clamps to the window,you will break the plastic slider.Ask me how i know.
- do not forget to reconnect the door cable to the inner handle and the electrical cable to the window switch
- make sure everything works before you refit the trim
- line up the trim clips to their holes before you lock them

Edited by Rebuild - 09 May 22 at 00:00
Steve
2004 T5 2.5 TDI
 Post Reply Post Reply