The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'88 1.6 td fuel pump type

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julian67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '88 1.6 td fuel pump type
    Posted: 24 Apr 12 at 16:40
Sorry I forgot to ask on my below post if anyone knows?

What type/make fuel pump is fitted to an original '88 1.6td Westy? (lhd)

Excuse my lack of knowledge but:

Is a 1.6 td fuel injected?

What else should I change on the fuel system?

(engine has done 25000 kms since complete rebuild but has not been driven for almost 2 years?

Owner has a pile of receipts including a complete engine rebuild (£2700) in 2004 and turbo recond (2006)

Never owned a Westy before or know anything about these 1.6 turbo diesels so any advice would be most welcomed & appreciated.
I do know they are a bit slow on hills!
Many thanks

Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 12 at 19:43
Its a Bosch VE pump

I suppose technically it is fuel injected, but that term is usually used to describe Petrol engines (Fuel injected as opposed to a Carburettor).
It a Diesel IDI engine. IDI just means the fuel isnt injected straight into the combustion chamber (as in a TDI).

What should you change? That depends whats wrong... other than filters, if it aint broken dont try to fix it.

Theyre fine on hills for a 2ton van. You just have to use the gears... 

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

http://www.tee3.co.uk/
julian67 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julian67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 12 at 20:14

Thanks a lot for your excellent advice!

Found a Glouces Bosch agent who will recond it (throttle shaft / bush / seal for £150 + VAT which isn't bad!

Keep well.

Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 12 at 20:26
thats not really a recon though... there is a lot more to a Diesel pump than the throttle shaft bush and seal...

whats actually wrong with the pump?

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

http://www.tee3.co.uk/
julian67 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julian67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 12 at 20:55

I have only looked at the vehicle but the owner said the fuel pump is leaking. How bad, I do not know nor does he. I just assume the worst!

I suggested I return with a good battery and try and start it. If successful, I'll get under and see how bad the leak is. But I don't think it's safe to drive it to the Bosch recond. place (20 miles) so it will have to be towed.

Vehicle was rebuilt and only done 25000 kms but as it's not been driven for over a year and half, perhaps there's also some engine damage.

Any other tips most welcome & appreciated. I don;t want to risk damaging the engine after not being used for such a long time.

Many thanks
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 12 at 21:04
If it helps - 
I've got a 20k mile old 1.6TD fuel pump in the For Sale section and other 1.6td engine parts all in excellent working order if your interested?
 Post Reply Post Reply