The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T5 overheating

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 11 at 22:36
Yep, it would have to be stuck shut or opening late to cause boiling energy.  We know that our vans (and diesels in general) are slow to warm up but I remember that yours did seem on the fffrozen end of the scale on our crude comparison tests over the last couple of winters.
2004 2.5 174
energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 11 at 22:53
Yep, mine was unbearable over the past winter, during the cold snap it never heated up above 50/60 and in turn the heater only pumped out cold air (which was the last thing I neededDead)

Some days I would get home from work colder than when I set off!

Its in for a service at the end of this month and I`m gonna get them to "investigate" again as there is no way that could be normal and I honestly couldnt stick another winter like that

Perhaps bigbobwithat5 and I should swap stats?LOL

!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
bigbobwithat5 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbobwithat5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 11 at 13:51
when i change it you can have mine for free, thats if i don't torch the van first
bigbobwithat5 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbobwithat5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 11 at 13:54
ok guys one last favour before i change the stat, how do i test the head gasket, been told its a bottle that goes over the water tank to test the fumes ???

Anybody know if this has to be special test kit for vw or can i get the test kit from anywhere???

Cheers

T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 11 at 18:56

The 'sniff' test for combustion gasses in the expansion bottle doesn't work so well on diesels.  You can get fluid that you mix with a sample of the coolant to look for carbon monoxide but it's still unreliable.  Some garages have expensive kit that works but it'll cost you to get it checked.

I did suggest the thermostat because of cheaper cost but if you haven't had a water pump yet you are on borrowed time and also the impeller problem can't be confirmed without removing the pump.

A blocked radiator is another possibility but it's quite unusual these days with better engines and better coolant.  Good luck and let us know how it goes. Smile    

Edited by T5 TDI - 27 Aug 11 at 22:30
2004 2.5 174
oeriberg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oeriberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 16 at 18:34
Hi,

I have a similar problem with my T5 2.5 TDI overheating yesterday when towing my racecar (-10c outside temp).
Both heater cores were blowing hot (driver cabin and rear) when this happened, I switched to max heat and the temp dropped rapidly, to me this means there is (some) circulation.
I replaced the waterpump with a new one (plastic impeller on the new one) a month ago, never had any overheating issues until now. I've read some of the OEM waterpump impellers are slipping on the axle.

What did you find out?
Kierant5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kierant5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 18 at 18:20
Hi, I have t5 1.9 that’s over heating I’ve changed the water pump and thermostat still no difference,the no heat from the blowers, if sitting still the temp is 90 but if driving the temp rises and goes to red, I have pulled the return pipe off and there is no flow any help please
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 18 at 12:22
I think it's most likely to be the head gasket.  It's more common on your 1.9 than the 2.5.  Your symptoms would be perfect for a slipping impeller on the water pump but you say you have changed that already.  You could just eliminate the silly things like the cap not fully 'clicked' into its sealed position or anything obstruction the radiator before plunging in, but head gasket it most likely. Ouch   You can buy a cheap test kit online which checks a sample of coolant.     
2004 2.5 174
Kierant5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kierant5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 18 at 12:45
Ok cheers for your reply is it common on these then for head gasket?
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 18 at 19:02
Fairly, on the 1.9's.  Quite rare on the 2.5's.  Don't know about the 2.0 CR engines.  
2004 2.5 174
Kierant5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kierant5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 18 at 20:46
Well I’d say it’s done well if it the original head gasket as it’s done 288000 miles and still sounds spot on even with head gasket gone, do you know what there like to do on these I am a mechanic just never dealt with these engine before
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 18 at 09:25
It's just standard stuff on the 1.9.  There are quite a few guides online.  Don't forget to use a gasket with the right number of holes for piston protrusion being a diesel and new head bolts. Smile 
2004 2.5 174
Kierant5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kierant5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 18 at 20:31
Iv been playing around today with it, got a flow everything seemed ok drove it round and no over heating i checked the pipes top one red hot bottom one freezing cold, one side of the heater matix pipe hot but other side cold, no heat in the cab, fort id take it to work got half way there and the temp gauge shot up and as soon as i got home it was fine again, im going to do a gas test i think
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12