The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Mk1 LT35 engine conversion - 2.0 petrol to 2.7TD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mk1 LT35 engine conversion - 2.0 petrol to 2.7TD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t'onion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 12 at 09:41
Looking forward to see the electric power steering set up 
LT28 Westfalia FloRida, 2.4 diesel

miserable fooker

Bryan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 12 at 10:08
I'm looking forward to being able to do that! I have had the electric rack and wheel etc sitting for over a year now. Once I get the radiator done then I'll be able to move onto figuring that out.
1982 Volkswagen LT Motorhome - Custom Nissan 2.7TD engine with 5 speed manual gearbox and LDV twin wheel rear axle.
t'onion View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t'onion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 12 at 10:14
what type have you gone for ?

miserable fooker

Bryan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 12 at 11:14
I got the whole steering column, wheel and switchgear from a Corsa last year for another project and never used it so it will be used on the LT. I just need to get a new barrell and key for it.
1982 Volkswagen LT Motorhome - Custom Nissan 2.7TD engine with 5 speed manual gearbox and LDV twin wheel rear axle.
t'onion View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t'onion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 12 at 11:20
Excellent , I'll be watching for your next update Clap

miserable fooker

Bryan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 12 at 22:49
My custom flange arrived today - enables me to put a standard hose onto the top of the radiator and allows me to use the header tank I already have.

This was made by Ralph from Component Engineering (http://www.componentengineering.co.uk). He has done a few bits and pieces for this project and I highly recommend him if you need anything at all like this made up.

Here it is installed on the radiator:

I took the camper out for a run after connecting it all up and the temperature gauge stayed in the middle and didn't creep up to the top like it used to - definately a huge improvement! Unfortunately, though, the clutch slave cylinder let go on the way into Tescos petrol station when I was going to get diesel and I had to tow the thing home with my Transporter van. New slave cylinder is in the post already and will hopefully arrive tomorrow.

I actually hoked out the power steering gear today so I'll start into that next.
Bryan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 12 at 15:00
The new clutch slave cylinder arrived in the post today so it was promptly fitted and bled. I had to make a bit of an adjustment in my linkage system but now it is working perfectly and there is no more clutch slip. I reckon it had a dodgy/sticky slave cylinder all along and for the sake of £30 it's now properly fixed.

At long last the Nissan 2.7TD engined, 5 speed, LDV rear axled Volkswagen LT Adventura can hit the road for the summer :-D

The next time I will update will probably be about the electric power steering conversion.

Edited by Bryan - 11 Jul 12 at 15:00
Canada LT28 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 12 at 12:06
Soooooo. Basically 1 year start to finish. I could only dream of being as efficient as you are. LOL Good show.Clap

My TDi lump is still on the table.
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Slow and built to stay that way
87 T3 soon to be a camper
Bryan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 12 at 12:30
Yes - more or less. Would have been half that time if I had went with the manual box from the start though and made more of an effort to get it done in the winter months.
andy18s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy18s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 12 at 16:47
hi,can you tell me which model taxi the nissan 2.7 bellhousing came out of?

i'm looking to fit a td engine into my vanette and this would be perfect!
ta
Andy
Bryan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 12 at 17:25
I think it came from a Fairway or TX1. Basically any taxi with a Nissan 2.7 engine and manual gearbox will have the same box.
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 12 at 17:30
well done son!

cracking work on the old girl. 
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
andy18s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy18s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 12 at 17:41
thanks
excellent work your doing,hope you get all trhe niggles sorted out soon
irishdanny View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishdanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 12 at 20:48
hey bryan have just spent the last few hours reading this thread as the family have the control of the TV ,cheers man.

fair play to ya boss its been a labour of love for ya by the looks of it,well done friend ,

cheers 
dannyBeerHandshake
Bryan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 13 at 10:36
Well all the niggles have now been resolved and *another* new engine has been installed which has cured the overheating problem - that other engine must have had head gasket problems or something. Now it actually gets cooler as you get faster with more air flowing around the radiator and engine.

Unfortunately, though, I have to sell my beloved campervan. The wife wants to move up to something more modern. I will be adding it to the for sale section of this site but I thought I would add some info here for anyone interested so that you can see how much work and expense has been carried out on the van.

I hope to get £3950 ono for it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567