Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Wheel help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

10 mm drum bolts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie
tiring of it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sensible_Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10 mm drum bolts
    Posted: 28 Jul 11 at 13:43
Here is a stupid question bought about by not having my Haynes book of lies and half truthes handy...The missus has put it somewhere 'safe'.

I believe and seem to recall from the cobwebs in the back of my mind that these can be dispensed with when your alloy wheel wont clear them?

As they just 'belt and braces', and the fact that your are bolting a wheel up is all that is required.

"Standby to be flamed"

Cheers

Better go find that manual!
If you can keep your head when everyone is losing theirs...Then you have seriously misjudged the situation
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 11 at 13:51
bought about?

Anyway....yes just remove them.
Sensible_Steve View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
tiring of it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sensible_Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 11 at 14:09
Got another problem....Well, I knew it was on the cards, but was just trying the wheels out for size at the back without spacers or extended studs.

With the new BW tapered nuts (25mm deep) and the alloy alone, I am staring down the inside of the nut at about 13 mm of unused thread.  which means I have only 12mm of thread holding the wheels on.

So I beleive I have to fit extended studs to the rear, even without spacers.  I was going to later when funds allowed.

Ho hum

11mm     hub width
      11mm     wheel width
      10mm     Spacer
      14mm     Min thread width or to fill up the nut (25mm)
      46mm

So 50mm studs minmum or 60mm to 'fill up' the nut. 

With the 6mm spacer at the front, I do just make it with the longer BW bolts I have.

Edited by Sensible_Steve - 28 Jul 11 at 14:38
If you can keep your head when everyone is losing theirs...Then you have seriously misjudged the situation
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 11 at 20:45
50 should be ok  just make sure you get open ended nuts so the stud will pass through them if need be! bolts should pass through the hubs and into the back of the disk if my memory serves me right?
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
Sensible_Steve View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
tiring of it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sensible_Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 11 at 14:33
Slightly confused Rowlesy, its the back hubs I am taking about, the drums.

For the front, I bought 40mm tapered bolts before being reminded I needed the spacer, which with the 6mm spacer gives me 15mm of thread, which is just enough in my book.

But the fact that I was using the open ended nuts at the back highlighted the issue that with the thicker alloy wheel,  I really needed extended hub studs irrespective of whether or not I use spacers.  This would not be obvious if you were using closed ended nuts on the back.  This is working on the 14-17mm of thread needed per wheel nut/bolt to secure a wheel theory.

Its also highlighted the woeful visual condition of my brakes - although working okay, they are not something to be proud of visually!

The missus in her usual helpful way suiggested I cut my losses and move the weels on....After cleaning them up, fitting 4 brand new van tyres and buying new nuts bolts, spacers, etc.  I declined, as another £30 and all will be sorted and I will be happy.

Cheers

Edited by Sensible_Steve - 29 Jul 11 at 14:36
mfunsta View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfunsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 11 at 14:47
ask her if she wouldn't mind just boxing up a couple of pairs of her shoes and going down the charity shop.... cutting her losses likeWink
 Post Reply Post Reply