The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How Slow?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Canada LT28 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 11 at 01:00
Here i am driving at what i thought was 100kph and we gps'ed it at 90kph. No wonder it was taking so long to get anywhere. Can't go faster...damn
BeJay View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 11 at 12:55

what size tyres have you got on the van Canada? I put 215R14C tyres (ups the gearing by 7.5% over the standard 185R14c tyre size) on my LT35 camper when I had it to up the gearing a bit, and the speedo was reading correct to within less than 1mph (1.6kph) of the GPS reading at 60 mph (96 kph), older vehicle speedo's always tended to be over optimistic by between 5% to 8% on standard wheel/tyre sizes in my experience.

Edited by BeJay - 15 May 11 at 12:57
NIL ILLIGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 11 at 00:19
I've put 175/16 Nokiens on some used rims and adapters I made last fall. They are bigger than the 185/14s that the truck came with. I really don't get it.....Confused

BeJay View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 11 at 02:36

Canada, your 175/16 will have upped your overall gearing by approx 5% from the standard 185R14's assuming they are standard ratio (80 which means the sidewall height is 80% of the width of the tyre) if they are a smaller aspect ratio e.g. 175x70x16 or 175x60x16 then they will obviously alter the overall gearing by a lesser amount as the aspect ratio has a direct bearing on the sidewall height and therefore the rolling diameter  and hence the overall gearing, either way your 175/16's even at 80 aspect ratio are still a fair bit smaller than the 215R14's, rolling diameter of 175/16's (if no aspect ratio is marked then they will be the standard 80) is 27.02" (686mm) and rolling diameter of 215R14 is 27.55" (700mm), so although the wheel size is 2" smaller the overall diameter of the wheel/tyre combination is 0.53" (14mm) bigger, hope this helps you 'get it' and makes you a little less Confused, cheers, Jack.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 11 at 02:47
Hi Jack,
I do get the size difference and I was really happy to find unused Nokiens at a scrapper for $100 including rims but what I don't get is why, with no other changes to the truck, I am actually getting lower true mileage then when the original tyres were on..... I had GPS'ed it before and the speedo was 5k off. Hence the Confused.
BeJay View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 11 at 02:54

aahh, now I understand the Confused, theoretically if the wheel/tyre combo diameter is bigger (which it is) then the speed should be closer to true and not further away, assuming the GPS to be correct on both occasions then I would suspect the speedo to be playing silly bu**ers, can't really see any other explanation.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 11 at 03:01
Thats what I thought. There is a point where the speedo whips back and forth hovering between 90 and 100 and I think something might have buggered up in tranny, maybe the gear is stripped.

PS... looking for a truck like yours but I think its too sexy for me and I am sure there are few if any over here. Defo no diesels

PPS...not trying for the last man standing, are you? Must be 2AM there.
BeJay View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 11 at 10:14

definately not trying for last man standing LOLLOL, it was 3.00 am here and I'd just got in from work,went off to beddybyes after that post Wacko
topsy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 11 at 14:46
Originally posted by Germslayer Germslayer wrote:

Found this sticker and had to buy it...

LOL

had to copy that - here's the front and back of our beastie 

Germslayer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Germslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 11 at 20:22
LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLClap
2006 LT35 2.5TDi SWB
1999 Skoda Felicia (I love 'em!)
myrtletheLT35 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myrtletheLT35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 11 at 10:50
jokes LOL
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 11 at 11:37
Its no joke, we live in the ssslllooowwww lllaaannneee. I was going to put an "Eat my Dust" sticker on but it only applies to stopped bicycles.
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Slow and built to stay that way
87 T3 soon to be a camper
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Germslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 11 at 18:29
It may be slow, but I always smile when driving the Crustymobile Wink
2006 LT35 2.5TDi SWB
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 11 at 12:08
Was bread sold out of your LT or do you have a clown stuffed under the seat?
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Germslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 11 at 14:40
LOL! LOL
It's called that because of the hand enamel job I acquired it with. I was planning to repaint it, but it's rather grown on me, so I've just stickered it up instead.

Plus back in the 90s I was a bit of a crusty: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusties I shower more now Wink

Edited by Germslayer - 09 Jul 11 at 14:43
2006 LT35 2.5TDi SWB
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 11 at 22:39
Yea, hand jobs can be a bit messy (where is Stacey when you need her). I'm getting a low pressure spray kit from a big box today to cover the yellow submarine.
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Germslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 11 at 19:17
Excellent! What colour?
2006 LT35 2.5TDi SWB
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 11 at 19:21
It will be a bright yellow as before but a nicer shade. Seems my truck is a bit of an icon around Toronto. It is one of only 2 that I know of in Canada.

94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12