The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

t5 back pain

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote power full Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 11 at 00:25
thanks for the replies as always some good ones in there ....i managed to swap the t5 for my mates caddy for two weeks (some mate i have to fill it with diesel each Friday for him or he wouldn't swap) to see if it makes any difference ......you would think he'd be glad of a bit of sportline class
The Transporter View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Transporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 11 at 00:50
Originally posted by tt62 tt62 wrote:

Originally posted by The Transporter The Transporter wrote:

.... Never drive with your wallet in your RS pocket as it causes your spine to twist and promotes back pain

You're obviously charging too muchLOL

Ha.... You too could have a fat wallet if you didn't go spending it all on Sportline combis...Wink
2004 174bhp AXE engine..... Belligerence has been confirmed.
blackvanman View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackvanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 11 at 05:04
Originally posted by kawolsky kawolsky wrote:

i swim most evenings when i get home.... in the summer.

in the bath tub or your own pool?!
'09' 174 kombi, swb, pearl black
rallye dale View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rallye dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 11 at 10:17
He likes his watersports does kawolsky

Probably his own pool due to his ocd in cleanliness (sp)

My Van..http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/topic26281&KW=_post196345.html#196345

My Car..http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=288209

T30 LWB 2.5 130 REMAPPED 56 PLATE
a11y View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a11y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 11 at 10:57
I too suffer from occasional back problems - part of the issue of being a 6'1 lanky bugger I guess. I only really have issue if working on the car/van in awkward positions, or simply too much rocky trails on my MTB, so nothing like you guys with gubbed discs.

I found the original VW driver's seat a bit flat and had raised the front via washers under the front of the rails - worked for me. The twin passenger seat was an effing nightmare for me though: outermost seat meant sitting at an angle due to the wheelarch intrusion while the seat next to the driver was useless due to my knee hitting the gearstick structure! (of course the solution is to always drive but that's not always practical).

I've now fitted individual front seats from a BMW Z4 - they're the less sporty of the two options that were available with that car, and for that reason are far less desirable and can be picked up for much cheapness. They're very well suited to the T5's driving position and have a nice amount of side support without making access/egress awkward. I find them VERY comfortable whether driving or in the passenger seat.
sandnesspeak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandnesspeak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 16 at 05:18
The only pain i get is in my left leg when im on a long cruise and have it sitting the same way. never my right leg though and pain reach to back then i contact To Las Vagus Back Doctor and now i am very much comfortable.
sandnesspeak
sunny43.5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunny43.5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 16 at 02:20
I get lower back pain on a long drive [victim of self abuse when younger trying to step the mast on my racing catamaran] but I digress what I have done is to fit an inflatable lumbar cell into the seat backrest behind the foam . There is a small rubber bulb that you squeeze to inflate and deflate if required . Works great for me and was easy to fit there are also electric ones that massage as you drive hmm that could be construed as a bit kinky though .These are from an Australian supplier http://daleys.com.au/products/view/136

Edited by sunny43.5 - 27 May 16 at 02:35
Oz Fisher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oz Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 19 at 15:43
Hello Vanorak,
I am trying to do the same thing (after 3 weeks of back pain), and was wondering where you managed to put the 20mm of packing. Is it the front 2 bolts on the bottom of the sliding rail, or actually at the floor on the floor mounts? If so, did you have to replace the existing bolts with longer ones (at the floor or on the slide?)?
Thanks, Oz. 
Oz Fisher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oz Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 19 at 15:56
Hello Vanorak,
I am trying to do the same thing (after 3 weeks of back pain), and was wondering where you managed to put the 20mm of packing. Is it the front 2 bolts on the bottom of the sliding rail, or actually at the floor on the floor mounts? If so, did you have to replace the existing bolts with longer ones (at the floor or on the slide?)?
Thanks, Oz. 
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 19 at 09:34
Suuny43.5 hasn't signed in since 2017 so you might not get a reply Oz.  I can't help directly but T5 seats seem to split people.  Not literally of course!  

Some people hate the T5 driving position and claim it is skewed and causes back ache yet some love it.  I'm in the second category.  I used to do no-stop 400 mile trips with mine regularly with never a twinge, whereas I am perfectly capable of putting by back out by sneezing or even tying my shoelaces!

Mine has original captains seats and the drivers seat has adjustable lumbar support.  I've never done any more than play with it but it might be a help.  The arm rests and most importantly for me, cruise control make all the difference on a long run.  I find it a great help not to be stuck with my right foot in one place for hours.  You could add both the seat and cruise control if you don't already have them at some cost of course.  I think the seats command a high second hand value though (£350 ish?) and AFAIK not all have the lumbar adjustment.  Good luck! Smile

2004 2.5 174
Oz Fisher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oz Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 19 at 10:23
Thanks Vanorak, 
I have a 2013 Beach, and you're definitely right, Cruise Control and Armrests seem to help.
I'm long legged though and broad, so I spent some time putting nuts under the front floor mounts and 
front rail mounts last night. 
My drive to work today has been much more comfortable. I think I've only raised the front by about 15mm, but it's a massive relief. 

Ta, Oz.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 19 at 10:44
My wife suffers with back problems that are worse than mine and it's surprising how often the problem isn't directly with the spine.  Knee problems for instance can lead to the spine trying to compensate for the resulting poor posture if knees aren't working as they should.  We have a very good osteopath here in Cornwall who is a great help and well worth the money.  He fixed my back I'd been suffering in agony with for two weeks in one session.  Best £45 I've ever spent!     
2004 2.5 174
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12