Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Westfalia forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Door operated rear light UPDATE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak
Baxters Chocolate Star Boy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holydiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Door operated rear light UPDATE
    Posted: 07 Mar 11 at 17:15

When using my westy at night I find it a pain that these no light that comes on when you open the siding door and I end up fumbling around trying to find the switch for the light about the door.

To overcome this I’ve fitted an internal light from a Golf mk2 GTI, the reason I used a GTI light over a standard mk2 is because it has a time off delay which can been useful and only £4 off ebay.

It was simple enough, marked out the cut-out and chain drilled around it and used a junior hacksaw blade to cut it out, and made good with a file, I picked up the feed from the light above the door, the hole for the door switch was already there just had to remove the plastic plug. The plastic block mounted to the door that operates the sw’t was from VW Heritage.

I fitted LED lamps to both the front door and this light which made a huge difference over the standard filament lamps.

The best part about this is, that it looks original I feel.

UPDATE
Although I was pleased with this mod and having lived with it for a while, I've felt it was time to improve it.
So removed the light and fitted one from a mk3 Golf, which has the added bonus of having a map light, menaing the little one can read / play games whilst driving at night.

Fitted with LED bulb

Whilst doing this I also added a rear light to the over head locker to make reading at night a lot easier, this one was from a Sharan and only has 2x map lights.

Edited by Holydiver - 05 Nov 13 at 13:58

Joker_Club View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker_Club Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 11 at 20:45
Neat Smile 

Sensible idea, I`ve looked at it a few times and then found something else on the van to do, but when I get round to it Confused I am going to switch the OE light over the door via that door switch you`ve showed. Just a matter of wiring it so it will come on either via the door switch or from the original built-in switch. I like the time delay idea you`ve got Thumbs Up
Sunny Lancs
ckendal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckendal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 11 at 11:54
Is the Golf GTi light the same fitting as the ones in the front of the cab? ie. Can you simply replace the T3 ones and have time delayed ones?
1989 California poptop
Holydiver View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holydiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 11 at 17:15
Good point! I'll measure it and post the answer

Holydiver View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holydiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 11 at 07:45
The cut out for the Golf light needs to be 26-30mm x 85-87mm, sorry didn't have time to measure the cutout for the van light so measured the spare Golf light I had at work.

Andytee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andytee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 11 at 11:50
Very nice. I like Smile 

You could do a similar thing over the boot space for seeing what's in yer boot / cupboards and fettling your engine in the dark.
Atlantic poptop
Nissan Leaf
Really want a Tesla!
ckendal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckendal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 11 at 12:16
I am assuming that it is a larger aperture then. Just bought a GTi courtesy light off ebay (5 quid plus postage). I will either open out the existing aperture above the driver door, or look to see if I can take the delay portion of the Golf light and fit it to my existing light.
The idea of having a light over the rear (above the engine) is a very good idea - for use when either working on the engine, or indeed when camping (no light back there!)
1989 California poptop
Holydiver View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holydiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 11 at 20:28
It's on the list of jobs to do Smile

Holydiver View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holydiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 11 at 13:34
Originally posted by Andytee Andytee wrote:

Very nice. I like Smile 

You could do a similar thing over the boot space for seeing what's in yer boot / cupboards and fettling your engine in the dark.

Andy
I was looking at this the weekend, and look like it will be dead easy to wire in, plus I'd have a light for when camping (reading whilst in bed)

Red Westie View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Westie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 11 at 12:03

Also adds the necessary switches for an alarm to function on the doors etc.

Just need one fitting to the tailgate and you have all round courtesy lighting plus possible alarm functionality.
Martin
shelly
16vmini View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 16vmini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 11 at 10:28
on a side note , the panel that the lights are mounted to above the door , can you still get this ? 
mine is a bit different on my westy , just a flat panel fixed with screws .. but its all split and broken .... so it needs replacing

Matt
Zeb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 11 at 12:39
I installed the swith as shown in the post but linked it to the cab lights, half the reason I did this was the alarm works from the interior lights so the slider is now alarmed. I would like to do the same to the tailgate but need to see some pictures of how to fit a tailgate switch. Has anyone added one?

Cheers

Zeb
1990 Westfalia California 1.6TD
Holydiver View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holydiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 11 at 13:31
Hi Brian
On the list to do is fit a light in the rear side panel so it can be used at night whilst in bed, but was also thinking of wiring it into the tail gate too "some how" like you I'll need to see some pics.

Enjoying being back in the UK?? I was over your way last weekend having a cuppa on the sea front! I know how to live it up..LOL

Zeb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 11 at 00:42
Hi Gary, life is still manic with a troublesome garage build on the go at the moment. I hope to use the bus in the near future to escape the pleasures of buying a 100yr old house in need of a garage.

I'm jealous as I have'nt even lived it up so much to roll down the hill in the van to the coast with a coffee!
1990 Westfalia California 1.6TD
syncroparge View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote syncroparge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 11 at 12:57
The dimable int lights have 3 connections do you know what each connection is for as I have 3 lights  to fit but do not have any connectors.
Holydiver View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holydiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 11 at 07:50
Can't remember from memory but will look it up and let you know.

From memory
Red = 12v
Brown = ground
Brown / white?? switch

Edited by Holydiver - 08 Jun 11 at 14:06

ckendal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckendal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 11 at 11:22
earth (middle one IIRC), on via door switch and manually on via light switch.
1989 California poptop
Holydiver View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holydiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 13 at 13:58
Update added Smile

Post Reply Post Reply