The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Wheel help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best size tyres on 18's; lowered 55mm, please!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zyclamvw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best size tyres on 18's; lowered 55mm, please!
    Posted: 25 Feb 11 at 16:13
Thinking of putting 18" Audi wheels (5x112) on my multivan, But struggling a bit with tyres, as the bus is on a -60 avo kit from brickwerks.
It's mainly the load ratings, as it seems most of the 40 profile tyres in say 205 or 215 have really low (86!) ratings, and i'm concerned wider tyres ( for the front anyway) will catch on the arch
What size tyres do you guys out there with 18" wheels run?
Cheers
chris7ian View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris7ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 11 at 15:01
I had 18x8.5J ET35 + 10mm spacer on 225/40R18 rated 92 with -50mm (wheel centre to the arch = 350mm front, 370mm rear) and yes the front tyres caught the outside arch on full lock across camber...

If your Audi rims are 8J you might just be OK... I've now bought 17x7.5J instead :D

If you go to 215/45R18 you can get 93 tyres while still maintaining near stock rolling radius. 
The VW manual states you should have a rating of 97 however...

Edited by chris7ian - 02 Mar 11 at 15:14
chris7ian View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris7ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 11 at 15:05
...oh, and the front track was wider than the rear because of the spacer, but to space the rear you'd need to modify the hinge on the sliding door
chris7ian View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris7ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 11 at 09:56
hmmm, reading this thread - Topic: New alloys grinding http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/new-alloys-grinding_topic62767.html
leads me to believe my bus may have had a little clearancing carried out to the upright... I'll have to stick my head under and have a look before fitting the new wheels...
zyclamvw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zyclamvw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 11 at 19:20
Cheers for your help
I'm not too worried about the back and might go for 235 or even 245 (!) 40 18's, but never thought of 45's for the front, that helps the load rating for sure! Cheers
richbvw View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richbvw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 11 at 23:51
hi mate, whats the ET of the 18s your fitting?

im just looking for info as i have a set of porsche cayenne ET57 18"s sat in the garage which i was going to fit to my T3 but most adapters seem to be only 20mm.  I didnt think there was a chance of 18" wheels with an et around 37 fitting on a T3.

im hoping im wrong.
chris7ian View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris7ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 11 at 16:26
Both of you need to take the wheel width into consideration. Offsets/ET are on their own wont tell you if your rims will fit.
The fact the wheels are 18" isn't is important as the width since you'll make up the difference with the tyre profile
richbvw View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richbvw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 11 at 18:49
Mine are 8" wide
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 11 at 19:38
Originally posted by richbvw richbvw wrote:

hi mate, whats the ET of the 18s your fitting?

im just looking for info as i have a set of porsche cayenne ET57 18"s sat in the garage which i was going to fit to my T3 but most adapters seem to be only 20mm.  I didnt think there was a chance of 18" wheels with an et around 37 fitting on a T3.

im hoping im wrong.

Please take the time to look through the 2 pinned threads at the top of this section.....you may just find the answer to your question/questions!
richbvw View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richbvw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 11 at 12:05
I have Steve, many many times.
I can only see 2 guys running 18x8 on the front and the offsets are 25 and 32 both of which shouldn't fit according to the fitment table

Hence my confusion
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 11 at 12:10
The table must be wrong then.....

I've personally run 8X18's on the front with an ET of 28 so I know they fit.
richbvw View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richbvw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 11 at 19:54
thats good to knowSmile
steveT3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steveT3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 11 at 21:37

im thinking off fitting 18"s to my T3.. the alloys i have have offset of 35 fitted with 245 tyres (merc rims) before i have bolt holes bored out, has anyone fitted similar?
steveT3
chris7ian View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris7ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 11 at 23:10
Originally posted by steveT3 steveT3 wrote:

im thinking off fitting 18"s to my T3.. the alloys i have have offset of 35 fitted with 245 tyres (merc rims) before i have bolt holes bored out, has anyone fitted similar?

Yes, until recently i had 18x8.5J ET35 Merc rims with 225/40 tyres. Front had 10mm(ish) spacer, rears were bolted straight on and cleared the sliding door although the track was visibly narrower than at the front (like a bulldog LOL )
The fronts would rub the arches when crossing camber due to the low ride height.
Look good, but they'd really benefit from the front of the bus being a little higher and the back wheels spaced to match the  front with the sliding door hinge extended to suit

Edited by chris7ian - 29 Mar 11 at 23:12
steveT3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steveT3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 11 at 06:31

Shame about that will try and find some different alloys..  cheers for advice
steveT3
chris7ian View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris7ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 11 at 10:55
Might not be necessary to change the wheels, just adjust the ride height a little - mine measures 350mm from the wheel centre to the arch with no-one in the cab. 15-20mm higher and it'd be ok and still ride low

Edited by chris7ian - 30 Mar 11 at 10:58
 Post Reply Post Reply